Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1998 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my forester the cruise did not work. I did some search and I came accross some posts that said if your horn works then your clock spring is good. The theory being that the horn power comes through the clock spring and it provides power to the cruise control switch so therefore if the horn works then the cruise switch should be getting power.

I wanted to let people know that it is true that if the horn works then the cruise switch is getting power however it is no garentee that the power signal is making it back through the clock spring to the cruise control computer. I found in my car that I was getting power from the cruise control switch at the steering wheel side of the clockspring but the power was not getting through the clock spring to the cruise control box.

I don't know what the inside of a clock spring looks like, but there are multiple electrical paths and it appears that they must be able to fail individually.

In the end I opted to use a momentary push button to activate the cruise as opposed to replacing the clockspring (my air bags and horn functions still work so the clockspring is not totally shot). I dont have resume or coast but I can at least turn it on now.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts