Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the Harbor Freight catalog the other day and I was thinking... what if we tried using

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=66172

in here @ D

Kind of like a cheap man's strut tower bar, set a few inches back, and holding the chassis out. I just don't know how much tension it can provide. I suppose the concept would also work with a tension rod for shower curtains and such.

Think it would do any good? $9.99.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2000 Forester
263 Posts
I like the idea! Plus, when you want your seats down, and what not, you can ditch the bar in favor of added space. I thought about mounting one to the strut towers, but I was always worried for those few times I need the extra space! At $10 I'd give'r a go! I'm sure there's a weight rating on it. How would you test that?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I can't see that applying enough force to make any difference to be honest....also it won't stop the turrets moving apart, only closer together...

Simon

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah I was just thinking that last night after going to bed. It's more of something to keep the sides of the chassis from flexing in but I think at that area, it's more the upper portion of the sides that will flex than @ D line. Also need to see how well constructed it is. Don't want the thing snapping from a hard turn lol. I wish they made it shorter so I could stick it between the strut pillars instead, but it's 45" min. :\ Am also worried that simply pushing against the plastic side panels will crack the plastic.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts
I doubt it would work too, because it only pushes out. The Link in the OP says that it has a 66 lb capacity.

If you wanted something much stronger, try some "Load Lock" bars. I think, they should be able to generate 100-200 lbs of force at least and start at about $25. Much simpler to operate than that pistol grip too.

Here's the first site that came up in a Google Search.
Load Locks & Load Lock Cargo Bars - Shipper's Supplies

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I think the biggest problem is that the box of the rear end gets out of shape, which you can tell if you jack up one side of the car with the hatch open and then try to close it. Really the best solution was mo-boost/singlefin's triangulated brace. We need some sort of triangulation to keep the sides from moving up and down from each other, the actual inward flex isn't that bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts