Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. I just read the thread about towing.. Ughh.. I didnt know.. I towed the 2002 automatic trans Forester that I just bought using a U-Haul Dolly with the 2 rear wheels on the ground. towed it about 20 miles at speeds up to 55 MPH. I was able to drive the car off the dolly and about 20 yards into a parking space before shutting it down. I haven't driven it since, because the engine has a piston slap problem that I'm planning on start working on this weekend..

how bad did I just I screw myself and my transmission by the tow?

I have to pull the engine to repair it anyway, but where should I begin to look to see if I screwed up the transmission?

·
SUPERZILLA
2006 fxt
660 Posts
I wouldn't loose any sleep over it..if your fixing a piston slap the clutch pack that 'may' have to be replaced is EASY, and can be done with the transmission in the car

·
Registered
2002 Forester
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay.. so there's a chance that towing my 4EAT Forester with the rear wheels on the ground didnt FUBAR my transmission.. I've got my fingers crossed.. *sigh*

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
20 miles may be ok. Only way that I know to "test" it is to actually drive it. You putting in a new engine or repairing this one? If replacing, just go ahead and drive it and see how the trans acts/sounds.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You'll probably be fine. My buddy towed his 92 legacy before he knew not to and he had no problems. He went about 25 miles but kept it under 50. The problem with an automatic is that the transmission won't be cooled as its spinning and will overheat. With the awd the front wheels (tied down) are trying to turn the same speed as the rear and so the center diff is spinning and heating up.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks.. I'm gonna try to repair the engine first.. (if you're interested, see my other thread for pics) if I can't fix it, I'll pick up a used short block on ebay or something.. after I get the engine back in, I'll put it up on 4 jackstands and see if all the wheels turn.. if they do.. I'll put it down and drive it..

I'm keeping my fingers crossed..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts