Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Legacy Diesel 5MT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I had my crankshaft broken + engine block cracked on my 2009 Legacy Diesel (Euro4) @ 130.000 Km.

Toyota of Algeria, the dealership of Subaru here is denying everything and I'm gathering informations about this issue to sue them and force them to take their responsibilities.

Can anyone provide me with official informations about that known problem ?

·
Registered
2008 Legacy Diesel 5MT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are some other postings here, have a look.
Already done, but I prefere if possible something like internal notes from Subaru, it will wheigt a lot more in a court.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
How many Kms on engine and what was the build date of your car? [the build date is on the driver's door frame]

·
Registered
2008 Legacy Diesel 5MT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many Kms on engine and what was the build date of your car? [the build date is on the driver's door frame]
- 130.000 Km when happened
- 2009 Year of build (exact date is not mentioned)

VIN : JF1BLDLY39G054733
Applied Model : BLDFLBY
Engine Type : EE20ZLTFLB
Transmission type : TY758V1AAB

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Impreza Diesel 6G-MT
46 Posts
AFAIK there is no official statement of Subaru concerning the Diesel engines problems.

But looking through Subaru foren show a lot broken blocks and crankshafts of MY2008/2009.
All vehicles are affected: Impreza, Forester Legacy/Ouback.

Subaru got differend typs of blocks and crankshafts for exchance. Lastest update was on April 2010.
So looking at the histroic of the spare parts, you see a "devellopment" of this parts. And this speaks on it own.

In Europa most of the broken engine were changed by the deals in case of garantie or kulanz..

·
Registered
2008 Legacy Diesel 5MT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AFAIK there is no official statement of Subaru concerning the Diesel engines problems.

But looking through Subaru foren show a lot broken blocks and crankshafts of MY2008/2009.
All vehicles are affected: Impreza, Forester Legacy/Ouback.

Subaru got differend typs of blocks and crankshafts for exchance. Lastest update was on April 2010.
So looking at the histroic of the spare parts, you see a "devellopment" of this parts. And this speaks on it own.

In Europa most of the broken engine were changed by the deals in case of garantie or kulanz..
I see, thank you. It's less obvious now to prove it in a court... but I still hope that such a official statement from Subaru exists.

For information purpose : I purchased the crankshaft (12200aa381) and the main bearing (12209aa440 + 12108ab060) for about 670 Eur and the engine block costs around 2000 Eur here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
12200AA381 is not the lastest crankshaft for E4 Diesel.

Looking in SubaruFAST 12200AA480 replaced the AA381 in april of 2010

·
Registered
2008 Legacy Diesel 5MT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
12200AA381 is not the lastest crankshaft for E4 Diesel.

Looking in SubaruFAST 12200AA480 replaced the AA381 in april of 2010
Unfortunately I noticed it in your other threads after purchasing the item.

·
Registered
2010 impreza manual
4 Posts
I have the exact same issue, my Impreza Diesel (EE20 Engine) 2010 Model has a broken Crankshaft. While driving at a very steady 65mph on the motorway in 6th Gear i got an engine shudder, nothing loud or scary and the engine just died/stalled. Got picked up by recovery and taken to local garage and engine stripped down and crankshaft completely snapped into 2 very clean pieces.

Dealing with Subaru just now but its like pulling teeth with them.

Subaru Impreza DRX Diesel 44,000 miles, well serviced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bad news :-(

MY2010 normaly seems to be good but there seems to be differends too. Witch mouth your Impreza was produced ?
Is it a early MY2010 ?

·
Registered
2010 impreza manual
4 Posts
Bad news :-(

MY2010 normaly seems to be good but there seems to be differends too. Witch mouth your Impreza was produced ?
Is it a early MY2010 ?
Yes it is May 2010. Why do you ask?

Subaru wanting me to transport my dismantled car to an agent to have it plugged into the ECU reader and all invoices from previous services produced with a full list of parts and numbers. really!..... no-one other than dealers produce such invoices and they know it!
The Subaru Dealership which i bought my car from has since ceased to trade along with the garage which done my first 3 services so there goes that idea. Secondly they have not agreed to pay for anything and if they decide there not going to cover the damage then all the diagnosis etc is at my own cost (at dealers rates) Nice tactics Subaru!

I have contacted my solicitor and letting him deal with it, i have the money to fix the problem myself but i'm way too stubborn to just let it slide and pick up the cost.

Keep you posted. :chair:

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
have you been dealing with their call centre or with the area engineer? Unless he's retired, it's a chap called Ken Davidson you need and you might find he can help.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy Do not know.
1 Posts
Well well well, look at what I have found.

Me, Legacy 2009 Boxer Diesel and guess what my crank shaft has suddenly gone. Fully serviced ever 12k miles, look after and 2 weeks ago bang !!!!

" Never seen this before Gov " is the response. Really say I, lets see what the flying engineer from Subaru has to say shall we?

In the past few days found nearly 20 cases for the same period of car and engine.

This is my 4th Subaru. this has gone at over 100k Mileage but others died at 280K plus

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2010 impreza manual
4 Posts
Just a quick update on my broken/snapped crankshaft...

Subaru wanting me to spend ££££'s on having it taken to them for a full diagnostic exam and component inspection. After which they will state their opinion "have a think" about offering something such as "goodwill gesture" provided they agree it was a manufacturer defect and provided i pay them to do the re-assembly at the dealer cost. I decided to not take them up on their not so generous offer.
Contacted the finance company who instantly closed my complaint through "lack of evidence" after many letters and phone calls to trading standards and the sunday mail's "the judge" the case was re-opened and after an independent body inspected the crankshaft and engine the conclusion was drawn that it was in fact no fault of mine via harsh driving, poor servicing etc but in fact a Manufacturer DEFECT.

Finance company paid out a package worth £12,000 + i keep the car. Finance contacted Subaru and they refused to offer any sort of contribution or even an apology.

If this has happened to your Crankshaft on your Diesel Subaru, i would highly reccomend an independent inspection company (bound to the courts and 100% impartial) is asked to do an inspection... the result should be pretty conclusive.
If i can offer any help to anyone in a similar situation then i will be only too happy to share my exp.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
967 Posts
Even with a 'Case Number' they don't respond by eMail, not even the common courtesy that confirms receipt. But that could be just myself :icon_cry:

Does anyone have an email contact for FHI/Subaru in Japan ?. Their website shows yards of blurb about their "new" customer care philosophy, but I've not found the contact details.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts