Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester X 4spd auto (4EAT)
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Forester X. I was having a P304 misfire problem, replaced the plugs and wires, just replaced the coil pack a couple weeks ago, then I started having intermittent problems starting. Last week I put in a 20oz bottle Techron injector cleaner in the tank(full) along with 8oz Mystery Oil. I know I have good spark, and just rigged a fuel pressure gauge. Pressure goes to about 45 psi when the ignition is turned on, and stays up. If I could start it, I'd assume that when the manifold vacuum appears, it would drop to around 35 psi if the regulator is working.

Managed to start it yesterday and put in a new battery, drove it around a bit. Ran fine once started. This morning, no longer intermittent, just won't start, and I'm assuming the injectors just aren't firing. No CEL or trouble code showing.

Where would you guys be looking at this point? One of the relays? Is there something I may have disturbed when changing the coil?
GRRRR!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SO I thought, what the heck, reset the ECU. So I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a half hour, reconnected, and the bugger started after a few cranks. It's out there learning how to idle as I type. More later....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, a couple of weeks later, the intermittent starting problem is still with me. Seems like it might have something to do with system voltage, putting the battery charger on it has seemed to help. Have replaced the negative battery cable, since the stock unit was dropping a half volt or more when cranking. Also have a new crank position sensor on order, since I was getting a P304 misfire code intermittently, and it occurred to me that maybe the crank sensor is marginally bad.

Have to say, this has the odor of a bad relay contact somewhere. Once the engine starts once, it runs fine for the rest of the day, but after it sits overnight, and things are really cooled down, chances are it will happen again. When it's happening and the engine is being cranked, it simply isn't firing at all. Then maybe having put the charger on, boom, it starts.

Is there a relay that could prevent just the injectors from operating? Also, is there a simple way to tell when the injectors are working? Can you hear them with a stethoscope or piece of tubing?

Lucky I don't need this thing to get to work, since I ride a bicycle. It always starts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Updated update:
A couple of days ago I put the original coil pack back in. Cold starting problem is now gone. Too bad I waited 38 days to figure this out. Now, according to their return policy, I'm just going to get another World Power Systems coil from Rock Auto under warranty, which I am NOT going to put in. Maybe the note I put in the package will thaw their hearts, and they'll give me a refund.

So it looks like the ad copy for World Power, that claims each coil undergoes testing through 100 thermal cycles, yada yada, ya, is the highest grade pure, steaming, Chinese BS. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably IS. I think I'll quit buying from the "Economy" section of the available vendors now.

The misfire problem may be cured after a 20oz bottle of Techron injector cleaner + 8oz of Marvel Mystery oil have run through in a tank of gas. We'll see. Hope I'm done working under the hood, for this winter, anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Final update (on THIS issue):
Car has been starting fine through all the subzero weather we've had, and the P304 code has not returned. So the original coil was fine all along, and the problem must have been a fouled injector, cured by the tankful with Techron and Mystery Oil added.
Off to ski!

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
1,006 Posts
Updated update:
I think I'll quit buying from the "Economy" section of the available vendors now.
Yup. I once got 3 bad-out-of-the-box different components in a row from Orielly's, so no longer buy components from them or their equivalent. My life is worth more than just returning and returning for their lifetime warranty.

Now it's dealer or NAPA for parts; NAPA has two lines, one priced to compete with the above stores and another line about $20 more; these latter have worked for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.