Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my timing belt off, and my original plan was to pull the oil pump to replace the seals. Anyone have any tips or a good procedure for removing the crank sprocket? The only information I've seen on this is a video where the guy heated up the crank sprocket to pull it off. Is this generally how it is done? I was thinking I might try to use a puller tool, but I don't think I can get hooks around the back of the part to pull.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
I currently have my timing belt off, and my original plan was to pull the oil pump to replace the seals. Anyone have any tips or a good procedure for removing the crank sprocket? The only information I've seen on this is a video where the guy heated up the crank sprocket to pull it off. Is this generally how it is done? I was thinking I might try to use a puller tool, but I don't think I can get hooks around the back of the part to pull.
You have removed the bolt, yes? The crank sprocket should come off. I would not apply heat. Remember, there's a rubber segment to this pulley, so treat it with a little respect. A puller is NOT necessary.

If you used a crank pulley tool to hold the crank while removing the bolt, you could tap on the back of the tool with a hammer. Or, you could re-insert the bolt and gently tap on it - wedge a screwdriver behind the pulley while you do this. There should be nothing holding the pulley in place, except for rust(?) or crud(?) or possibly some roughness on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. The bolt is actually still on right now. I used it to align the timing marks and forgot to remove it before I removed the timing belt. I'll have to put the timing belt back on to loosen the bolt. Good to know it should just come off without much force. It didn't look like the bolt was in contact with the crank sprocket, but maybe I have been seeing it wrong.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Dave, but I think we were talking about different parts. I had already removed the harmonic balancer/crank pulley. I actually had the timing belt off at the time I made the post. I was looking for some information on removing the crank sprocket. This is the geared piece attached to the crankshaft that drives the timing belt. It is definitely on with some type of interference fit because it didn't budge at all when I tried to remove. The bolt was not holding the crank sprocket on as far as I can tell. I already have the car back together and gave up on replacing the oil pump seal/crank shaft seal, but can anyone comment on the preferred method of removing the crank sprocket for future reference?

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS auto
640 Posts
Thanks for the reply Dave, but I think we were talking about different parts. I had already removed the harmonic balancer/crank pulley. I actually had the timing belt off at the time I made the post. I was looking for some information on removing the crank sprocket. This is the geared piece attached to the crankshaft that drives the timing belt. It is definitely on with some type of interference fit because it didn't budge at all when I tried to remove. The bolt was not holding the crank sprocket on as far as I can tell. I already have the car back together and gave up on replacing the oil pump seal/crank shaft seal, but can anyone comment on the preferred method of removing the crank sprocket for future reference?
The crank sprocket is not an interference fit, some rust free cranks allow the sprocket to slide off with ease.

The two holes in the sprocket can be tapped for 5/16-18 and with long bolts and a plate, you can make up a puller.

Resist the urge to put a pry bar behind the sprocket, it will end in tears.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2010 Forester
16 Posts
two days soaking with PB Blaster and my crankshaft sprocket won't budge. With all the work I've done replacing all the other gaskets/seals including camshafts, plugs, oil pan and rear rmain, the last thing I want is a leaking crank seal. Still working patiently to get this sprocket to slide off the crank.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS auto
640 Posts
two days soaking with PB Blaster and my crankshaft sprocket won't budge. With all the work I've done replacing all the other gaskets/seals including camshafts, plugs, oil pan and rear rmain, the last thing I want is a leaking crank seal. Still working patiently to get this sprocket to slide off the crank.

Time to think about tapping the two holes in the sprocket and improvising a makeshift puller

1 - 7 of 7 Posts