Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 forester Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHile replacing a timing belt in my 2000 forester SOHC, while turning the crank shaft to align timing marks the shaft seems not to be connected to anything within the engine, to me this seems like a engine write off... Input anyone?

WOrth mentioning that i have never had the car running, here is the story.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/my-subaru-some-assembly-required-221682/

i was going to try putting a new belt on to try it out but it seems like the crank is no longer connected to the pistons as it turns very very easy.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
It was surprisingly easy when I did the timing belt on our 1999 too, even with spark plugs. You would hear a lot of fun sounds if the pistons weren't connected to anything.

It's probably fine. I would say continue and if you're really concerned do a leak down test and see if you have an abnormal amount of leakage. Though I don't know if I'd even bother with that until it didn't start.

·
Registered
08 imprezza auto
16 Posts
take out the starter. turn front pulley. do flywheel teeth move? if not , at least aluminum scrap is fairly high. if flywheel turns, put on belt, time it up, and crank with starter. then do compresion test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts