Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Forester L Manual
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98' Forester L. While driving, both the brake and battery light turn on and the power steering goes. I made it home fine but upon inspection the alternator/power steering belt has frayed and came off the pulleys. The crank pulley has bore through the plastic about one ridge in causing the other belt, (ac compressor I think), to push outward on the crank pulley. We tried replacing the alternator belt but neither of he belts can be where they should be on the crank pulley because of the plastic. When attempting to start it sounds like it is just about to but then fails. It definitely has enough charge. Any ideas if the belt/crank pulley situation is what is causing it not to start? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
The crank pulley is either loose at the crank or the outer ring of the pulley is has separated from the rubber bonding it to the inner portion that is bolted to the crankshaft.

If it is loose, you need to be mindful that the same keyway secures both the timingbelt drive sprocket and the crankshaft pulley.

If the outer ring of the pulley has separated and poved into the timing belt cover check to see if it has rubbed on the timing belt.

After market pulleys(doorman) are about $80 at the autoparts stores

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.