Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to fix my front left speaker of my 2009 Subaru Forester to no avail. Sound will still emit from it, however, it is really muffled and crackling.

I originally thought that the speaker was blown, so I replaced the front two speakers with JL Audio C2-650x coaxials, but the problem still remains. I also thought it might be a connections issue with the head unit, so I removed it and unplugged / replugged it, but that still did not fix it. My current theory is that there is a wiring / soldering break somewhere deeper in the electrical system.

What do you all think? Are there manuals available that show the wiring diagrams / locations from the head unit to the front left speaker? Should I just forget it and take my car to a professional and have them deal with it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 6-speed manual
177 Posts
For up to 72 hours for $35.00 you can download the Service Manual and other information from Subaru. It will have the wiring diagram.

Link:

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login

First place to check is the section of the wires that pass from the door to the body. They flex a lot and can fail over time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally managed to fix the issue. For posterity, there were two issues. First one was that there was apparently invisible dirt / corrosion inside the connector in the back of the headunit inside either the brown and brown/white wire connector that was dislodged and fix by poking a staple inside. Second issue was that the previous owner of the car ripped apart the plastic connector casing on the wires that would go to the car's left tweeters. This exposed two live wires and when they touched, a short was created that caused a buzzing sound. This was fixed by wrapping both wires in electrical tape.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts