Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the infamous crack on the top right plastic portion of the OEM radiator. Was gassing up and did the usual oil check/once over the car thing. You can see in the photos that it is right at the transition between the right most fan mount and the the main portion of the plastic top. This is the radiator that replaced the original one under warranty. Luckily, I caught this one before it puked everywhere.

Photos of the crack. You can see where coolant sprayed out and dried white (this is how I found it).

It's funny because I just lightly cleaned the engine bay last Thursday and would not have seen the dried coolant had I not done this.

The repair. Not sure if this will work. It is curing as I type.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the exact problem, and I have parked it till I can replace radiator. But I suspect that won't fix it. The question is why is there excess press in radiator in the first place to cause crack? Either faulty radiator, faulty t-sta (unlikely in may case), or the dreaded HG problem?

Try burping the systems?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the exact problem, and I have parked it till I can replace radiator. But I suspect that won't fix it. The question is why is there excess press in radiator in the first place to cause crack? Either faulty radiator, faulty t-sta (unlikely in may case), or the dreaded HG problem?

Try burping the systems?
I think the crack was caused by fatigue not cooling system pressure. The fans hang off of these things...

·
Registered
RIP 2005 FXT 5MT
938 Posts
Yeah, I have had a crack in my radiator for a couple of weeks now... I'm not scared of a little puke. Though it does suck refilling the coolant every couple of days.

Those Koyos are just so damn expensive! But I'm more then half way there! I just need to sell a little more...

·
Registered
04 fxt
3 Posts
The Mishimotos are quite reasonable $$ wise, I believe it is the same Part # as WRX.

Just my 2 cents FWIW.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
The Mishimotos are quite reasonable $$ wise, I believe it is the same Part # as WRX.

Just my 2 cents FWIW.
mishimoto does not make a forester specific radiator. wrx/sti fitment radiators are not a direct drop-in swap on a forester either.

·
Registered
RIP 2005 FXT 5MT
938 Posts
I installed my Koyo VH13026 radiator over the weekend! What radiator hoses did you go with? I bought a set for a 02-07 WRX/STi thinking that they would fit and I had to use my old ones. Hopefully, they hold up until my next coolant flush.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
you need the forester specific samco radiator hoses. otherwise you're pretty much stuck with reusing or buying new oem ones i believe.
Mann Engineering - Subaru Parts and Performance

wrx/sti radiators and hoses are NOT the same as your forester counterparts. it's as simple as googling a few engine bay images of an sti and you can see where their upper radiator hose is located. the cylinder block water pipe outlet angles are also different between an sti and a forester.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed my Koyo VH13026 radiator over the weekend! What radiator hoses did you go with? I bought a set for a 02-07 WRX/STi thinking that they would fit and I had to use my old ones. Hopefully, they hold up until my next coolant flush.
I already had the Samco hoses. They were purchased when the OEM top hose failed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts