Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We own a 2012 Forester. Love it, especially after our 2011 Forester was stolen, but that's another story.

My question is: We live in Toronto, Canada and this winter has been nasty. One of the things that really showed up as a 'problem' was the cowl (base of windscreen and back of hood) is really deep allowing ice and snow to compact. We had a ice storm on December 22, 2013 and the entire cowl, once the ice froze filled up. We have to really work at getting the ice out of the cowl so that the windscreen washers could function and the windscreen wiper would work without problems.

Since then it becomes a proirty to ensure this area is cleaned after every snowfall to ensure that the wipers and windscreen washers work.

It seems to me to be an area the Subaru engineers should look at in future models.

Any 2013/2014 owners run into this small, but annoying problem? How about 2012 and older owners, do have this problem too.

Just asking?

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
My '09 is the same way. That area is like a deep gutter and really does fill up with snow and/or ice. And like you say, if you don't empty it, the windshield washers won't work.
You can get some of the snow, but not all of it , out with your snow brush. What I do at home is, I have a heavy pair of mittens I use for snowblowing, etc, kept in the garage. (My wife parks in the garage, I park outside). I just put on those mittens and scoop the snow and ice out of that area with my hand. Does a more complete job than the brush.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Have any of you tried simply covering the end of the hood and lower windshield to keep the snow and ice out? A 2' wide strip of canvas, or even a blanket, should do nicely.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,340 Posts
It's been like that forever--at least as far back as 2003 anyway. I wrote about it once here, and somebody replied claiming that it was a feature, not a problem.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
I wrote about it once here, and somebody replied claiming that it was a feature, not a problem.
Well, the design does keep the wipers out of the direct aerodynamic area, which improves fuel economy slightly.

My 2000 Ford Ranger had no depression between the hood and the windshield. It also never accumulated ice there, obviously. It did only get 18 mpg though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts