Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the '04 FXT last weekend and am already itching to mod it. I have already received my walbro fp and sti i/c with BOV and tubing and UP is on it's way. I'm going to stay "conservative" for now and go with the vf-39. Thinking about picking up the red intake mani from an STi just for looks.
My question comes to tuning. I've read many of the threads in this section but am still a little confused as it seems that there is really no wrong answer for engine management. My initial thoughts are as follows:

1-Get an '04 STi ecu and Utec or AP
2-Keep the FXT ecu and get AP or ecutek.

My question is if I were to go the AP route, are users allowed to "share" the maps that they have?
I had the Utec on my '02 WRX and it did a fine job of managing the 350whp beast. There were people that shared their tunes with one another.

If I were to keep my FXT ecu and do the STi upgrades, can another AP user share their map with me, or am I confined to going to Cobb each time for a new map?

Like I said, I'm new to the AP and/or Ecutek and have read about the pros and cons of each. It looks like the majority of people here that are running EM are using the AP, and I saw Gator's post about the Utec, so I guess the I'm just looking for add'l input.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like you can also get maps from PDX for the AP. Are they willing to write maps if I still do the STi ecu swap and AP?

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
singincanary said:
Just picked up the '04 FXT last weekend and am already itching to mod it. I have already received my walbro fp and sti i/c with BOV and tubing and UP is on it's way. I'm going to stay "conservative" for now and go with the vf-39. Thinking about picking up the red intake mani from an STi just for looks.
My question comes to tuning. I've read many of the threads in this section but am still a little confused as it seems that there is really no wrong answer for engine management. My initial thoughts are as follows:

1-Get an '04 STi ecu and Utec or AP
2-Keep the FXT ecu and get AP or ecutek.

My question is if I were to go the AP route, are users allowed to "share" the maps that they have?
I had the Utec on my '02 WRX and it did a fine job of managing the 350whp beast. There were people that shared their tunes with one another.

If I were to keep my FXT ecu and do the STi upgrades, can another AP user share their map with me, or am I confined to going to Cobb each time for a new map?

Like I said, I'm new to the AP and/or Ecutek and have read about the pros and cons of each. It looks like the majority of people here that are running EM are using the AP, and I saw Gator's post about the Utec, so I guess the I'm just looking for add'l input.
I wouldn't waste my money or time w/ the red manifold unless you have plenty to waste b/c it is only for looks and a real PITA to remove/install.

As for the upgrade, the cheapest route would be to get the STi ECU for plug in but if you are going to eventually get the AP you could go w/ the stock ECU or the STi ECU (I just think the STi ECU is a good foundation and fall back). AFAIK, you can share all Protuner maps but not the Streettuner maps for the AP.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to bump this up. I'm getting the suspension installed this weekend, and am hoping to do the UP, turbo, i/c and tbe next weekend (STi) swap. I have an '04 STi ecu and an '04 STi AP. I was hoping to get the Cobb stage 2 shelf map to use until I can get to the tuner and get the custom tune done.

Does anyone have an '04 STi stage 2 shelf map? If so, are you willing/able to share it with me.

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
If I had to do it over again I would keep the FXT ECU (which I did) and I would get the AP with a protune and the optional street tuner. I would get several maps as I felt like. I got the ECUtek, which is great but the AP now gives map switching which ECUtek was supposed to release...and never has. And I've seen a few FXT AP's for sal used. And the AP holds some used value which the ECUtek does not.

I cannot answer your questions about AP map "sharing." Sorry.

I would also strongly consider getting the 06-20G rather than the VF39. I wish I had. Power tends to corrupt...absolute power corrupts absolutely...or something like that. Just don't bang the gears...unless you want a set of PPG gears as well.

Oh, and I didn't want more power until I added a bunch of suspension stuff. The suspension is really what made the car fun.

Enjoy your new purchase.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know all about power corrupting. I had an FPGreen on my rex and miss the kick in the pants. Figured the 39 was the easy, middle ground upgrade (and you can't beat the price.) After speaking with a fellow member I've also lined up a VF-22 that will go in in the next month or so, and require a pro tune.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Fishdizzle said:
which would give you more power... sti ecu stge 2 or fxt ecu vf39 map?
STi stage 2...

just because cobb's vf39 map is fairly conservative...

now a custom vf39 map vs STi stage 2 would definately go in the XT's favor...

even custom v. custom would probably result in a slightly faster (although slightly lower hp) XT due to gearing and weight...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts