Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Isn't it a bit counterproductive to have dimmed out brakelights?

I'm not saying it's ugly or unattractive (woot for the rear spoiler and rear bumper cover =P) but it just seems like it only makes things worse even though it's supposed to look more "attractive", right?

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Not a fan of the smoked or darkened covers, from a functional standpoint. In certain daytime conditions it's tough to see them coming on, and at night the difference between running and braking intensity makes braking tougher to notice. Combine those with a non-functional CHMSL and one is asking for a rear-ender.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Combine those with a non-functional CHMSL and one is asking for a rear-ender.
Non-functional? What do you mean specifically? That if it so happens the CHMSL is out or do you mean something else (like it's dimmed)?

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
^^ broken, but if it's dimmed just as much as the corners then it may as well be broken in certain ambient lighting conditions. As a driver with 2-D vision, decreased lead-time from "cool-looking" taillights is not going to do ones' rear bumper any favors.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
And my attorney would have a field day getting damages from YOU. JK'ing, but seriously, I don't know how that would play out. I think there was a thread/discussion here about the blacked out tail lamps and insurance claims.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,726 Posts
I smoked out the tails on my LGT, but not completely. There are holes in the film which let out a considerable amount of light. Also my reverse section is cut out so that light output is not affected at all.

IIRC a member here, TSi+WRX, did some comparison shots of these stacked oval covers v.s. the stock lights at night, and the output is still very easy to see.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
While Im not a fan of tinted lights, If done correctly, like SD has shown above, the output can be good. I had smoked covers on my truck back like 12 years ago, and I know for a fact that they were visible. I also know that in bad sun glare that with the covers you could see the light better(daytime) vs just the light. I know it doesnt make sense, but I saw this with my own eyes following my car home one day in rush hour traffic.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Yeah, it's when they go crazy with super dark tint that it's tough to see those things light up. I dunno - that level of 'cool' isn't enough to make me want to risk a week in the body shop.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Hey! that's where i bought our fozzie! (talking 'bout the thousand oaks plates..)

imo, it all depends on how lightly its done and on what vehicle and color it goes on to. for me, tinting tail lights is a big no no.. looks dirty and dull..

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Yeah, it's when they go crazy with super dark tint that it's tough to see those things light up. I dunno - that level of 'cool' isn't enough to make me want to risk a week in the body shop.
If they used something like VHT niteshade, then even though they appear super dark, they still let a decent amount of light through. I'm not a fan of using a dark tint-like vinyl covering though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts