Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the title is just a joke so don't kill me. I've read way to much information on tires and after one previous run in with the snow on stock tires and now this morning I felt very uneasy again I decided I'm buying new tires with my tax refund.

I need a good ALL-season tire. I live in Central Jersey and work in North Jersey so I need something that will last since all I drive is highway and is good in the snow and rain. We don't get a LOT of snow but they also don't plow or salt for at least a day or two when it does.
So after reading way to much and looking at some reviews it comes down to the Goodyear TT or the Goodyear ComforTreds.

The TT's are listed on tireRack for 152 each and the Comforts are listed at 139. So this comes out to about a $50 difference. Are the TT's that much better that it would be worth the extra $50 or will it not really make a difference?

Anyone in NJ have experience with either of these?

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
The flaw in your request is asking for an all season to be good in snow. Simply not there design strength.

However, I wouuld look at a tire labeled "all-weather". Yes there is a difference.

The tire you need is a Nokian WR. It is rated for snow. This is not the cheapest solution but I think the best.

Cheers

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading a bunch about the Nokian's they just seem like a winter tire to me. We really don't get enough snow for me to go with a winter tire since I'd say 85% of the time the tires will be in the rain or dry weather. If we see 3" that's a lot most of the time, minus the occasional surprise of course.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Sorry, not from NJ...

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 scored on top in Tire Rack's survey on "Grand Touring All-Season" tires, #1 in a Tire Rack tire test, and it was also CR's #1 pick in their "Performance All-Season" category.

They ain't inexpensive, however, at $157 each for the 225/55R17 "H" version. It's also apparently one of the Michelin tires made in the U.S. and/or Canada (source: Tire Rack).

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ Not a bad choice at all.

The Nokian WR/WR G2 will give you the wintering capabilities you need - however, their treadwear is debatable.

Our locals and other Subaru owners nationwide say that they're pretty durable, but ADAC and other testing sources do not rate them so highly, in this specific measure.

Alternatively, various top-ranked V-rated "Performance Winters" typically are also among the more durable of the "winter tires" genre, and will give your FXT much of the same - if not better - handling characteristics than the stockers. But again, absolute durability/longevity will definitely be a problem, especially if you run them in the warmer months.

There's one fundamental issue, unfortuantely, jkoppee, in your approach - you want some wintering capability, but you're not happy with what your current stockers are giving you.

Will a more winter-oriented all-season work better than the stockers?

Certainly - but you'll need to remember that as you log more miles with their use throughout the year, you'll be taking away one of the biggest determinants of winter-weather capability: tread-depth.

This means that by the third - or even second - time that you see snow with that particular set, it's quite possible that you'll have a significantly different experience with the tires than you did the first time around.

Of the known-quality winter-capable all-seasons, in addition to the Michelins above, are the Continental ContiExtremeContacts, which remains a favorite with the Subaru crowd.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is something that many of us are keeping an eye on, too, but it's a new tire this season.....

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Continental extremecontact DWS. They are as good in deep snow as most snow tires, only downfall is braking performance in the snow compared to a real snow tire. They handle great in wet and dry, and the new ones are rated for 50,000 miles (I got 30,000+ out of the old style driving very hard).

They're also much cheaper than either of the 2 you've mentioned and better in the snow than either.

On my stock FXT the conti's were my favorite tire, I plan on getting the DWS to replace my falken ze912's which I dont particularly like.

The tripletred is a great all weather tire, good life, but they are a bit pricey. I'd put them on a car that was going to be driving a family around town. They're better than the comfortreds in bad weather, but the comforts are quieter and more "luxurious".

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Continental extremecontact DWS.
Have there been any detailed professional (and independent) reports on the DWS yet...I think I may have missed it? :confused:

It's new this season, and it's getting the usual new-for-this-year conflicting reports. :icon_razz:

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
The Nokian WR/WR G2 ... treadwear is debatable.
This is exactly where the Nokians (#3) came up short against the Michelins (#1) in CR's test report.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my issue is that I don't really see that much snow throughout the year so while I want something good in the snow (better than stock cause they suck) I need something that will last and be good in rain and dry pavement. I may never see what others consider deep snow so that's not really a big concern for me.

I drive 85 miles each way to work 4 days a week so I need a longer tread life. I don't do any off-roading, probably won't see any 'deep' snow, if I do they close work so I won't have to drive in anyway. I mainly need something that is good for highway driving in less than good conditions, and yes I have a 7 year old so funkymonkey this is a car I'll be driving the family around in on the weekend.

TSI I understand what you are saying in regards to the second or third time I see snow with the tires but I drive about 35K miles a year so any tire I put on probably won't ever see a third year.

I'll look into the contis as you suggest funky but I don't think I saw them on tire rack.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so after realizing TireRack's search doesn't work at all and I couldn't find them listed under searching by brand I found the listing for the DWS's through Google. Every review on these seems to be amazing so I think I changed my mind.

So then, they don't list 225/55/17s for the DWS. They list 225/50R17 for $122 and 235/45R17 for $117. Which should I go for?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so it appears that DTD and TireRack are out of these tires, figures. The only ones they seem to have in stock are 225/45R17s but I don't know how that would look with the reduced sidewall.

Of course they also have 245/40R17s but I dont think they'd fit on the '09

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
The Conti DWS 225/50R17 (805 revs/mile) are quite a bit smaller than the OEM Yokohamas (775 r/m). The speedo/odo error will be ~+4%. :icon_sad:

The Conti DWS 235/45R17 (824 revs/mile) are even worse. The speedo/odo error will be ~+6%. :icon_sad: :icon_sad:

The 235/50R17 is closer to stock at 793 r/m; error will be ~+2%. Don't know if it'll fit.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
my issue is that I don't really see that much snow throughout the year so while I want something good in the snow (better than stock cause they suck) I need something that will last and be good in rain and dry pavement. I may never see what others consider deep snow so that's not really a big concern for me.

I drive 85 miles each way to work 4 days a week so I need a longer tread life. I don't do any off-roading, probably won't see any 'deep' snow, if I do they close work so I won't have to drive in anyway. I mainly need something that is good for highway driving in less than good conditions, and yes I have a 7 year old so funkymonkey this is a car I'll be driving the family around in on the weekend.

TSI I understand what you are saying in regards to the second or third time I see snow with the tires but I drive about 35K miles a year so any tire I put on probably won't ever see a third year.
Ah, in that case, indeed, you're likely going to be best-served by a longer-lasting all-season :smile: - just be sure to watch the treadwear as you get into the second (given your mileage) winter.

--

This is exactly where the Nokians (#3) came up short against the Michelins (#1) in CR's test report.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
^ Exactly.

It's tested that way nearly uniformly, across-the-board, both of NA and of overseas independent sources. There's enough data out there that I'm fairly convinced that the tests are, indeed, "right."

What I can't reconcile, though, is why my local Subaru enthusiasts - all of whom are very tires-knowledgeable - seem to rate the WR/WR G2s rather highly on wear. :confused:

I wonder if their frame-of-reference is somewhat shifted? :shrug:

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so just about everywhere I look the DWS's are out of stock or on back order. Figures because I'm pretty sure I made up my mind on these.

DTD seems to be out of every size near stock, and seems to be limited on sizes but tireRack has 215/55R17s.

So my question is, do I go with a skinnier tire, 215/55R17s, do I go same but shorter 225/45R17s, or go wider and shorter 235/45R17s?

Also anyone think 245/40R17s would fit?

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
I would go with the 215/55s. 225/45 and even 235/45 will look pretty small in your wheel well. 245s will bulge out quite a bit if you mount them on the stock width 7" wheels.

Also, I believe Sears carries Continental tires. You might check there as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts