Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 forester 4eat
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My gf had a forester 2002 that she gave to younger sister a few years ago. While we had the forester, this site bailed me out on many occasions so I figured I’d try one more time.

Three days ago, the sister complained the car was shaking at idle. By today, the car was shaking so badly, she didn’t want to drive it.

I was in the area and volunteered to examine the car. The car was shaking very badly. I quickly found a loose vacuum hose that I tightened. The shaking went away. But now there is a loud noise that sounds like metal hitting metal. The closest sound I found on you tube videos was “lifter tap”.

Could lifter tap have been caused by the shaking engine?

Any help greatly appreciated. This is no longer our car, but I’ve developed an attachment to the car.

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
713 Posts
The shaking went away. But now there is a loud noise that sounds like metal hitting metal. The closest sound I found on you tube videos was “lifter tap”.

Could lifter tap have been caused by the shaking engine?
Can't see how.

Have the younger sister get the oil and filter changed using normal viscosity spec oil.
After that see if the noise is there when the car is warm, like after 10 minutes of operation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts