Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Prius
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for a 2017 Forester Premium in So. CA area. One of the dealer told me upfront that the only way to get a decent discount is using Costco's buying program. He quoted me a price of $26,450 (before T&L) on one with MSRP of $29,342. Similar comparison with TrueCar was $27,012 and Kelly's was $27,027. Just want to know if anyone has experience with Costco's program with Subaru and their pricing results. Is $26,450 a good price for the Forester Premium? Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
297 Posts
Sounds like a real good price, Subaru does not build in huge margins to the price to then be able to offer $4000 discounts off MSRP like some other brands do. I cant imagine getting a better mark-down off the dealer floor, at least not around here in CO. I wish I knew about the Costco program when buying my car, I did use it for a motorcycle purchase recently and saved 15% from MSRP its a pretty amazing member benefit.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
146 Posts
I don't know specifically about that program, or maybe it has changed since we bought a vehicle. I know when we purchased a new truck, 2015 GMC Sierra 1500, we got a $500 discount for mentioning we were Costco members. That does sound like a very good deal though and I know Costco is a very reputable business.

·
Super Duper Admin Guy
2,903 Posts
Costco is basically invoice pricing. Subaru's VIP program would allow 2-5% below Invoice...
But you have to be a member of that for a few years...

The last two Subaru's purchased in 2012 & 2016 were through the Costco program.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,539 Posts
You can easily do far better than just accepting Costco pricing...all you have to do is negotiate. Costco pricing, as was mentioned above, is nothing special.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
619 Posts
You can probably do better by $500 or so if you negotiate. My car had a very similar MSRP and I was able to push it down to $25700. It all depends how much your time is worth when negotiating. If you don't have time to negotiate or don't think it's worth the time for $500, the Costco price is pretty decent.

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,362 Posts
Costco is basically invoice pricing. Subaru's VIP program would allow 2-5% below Invoice...
But you have to be a member of that for a few years...

The last two Subaru's purchased in 2012 & 2016 were through the Costco program.
What vip partners got 5% below invoice?
also were WRX excluded?

AFAIK it is now 0%(invoice) to invoice-2% and 6month membership requirement.

I used to be a member of leave no trace(invoice-2%) but now they only offer invoice price.

There isnt a ton of fat on the msrp/invoice pricing in comparison to
a Jeep cherokee that are going for 10000$ off msrp since last november.
-Trailhawk v6 $36900msrp>>selling for $27000

I wi

·
Registered
2017 2.0XT Touring
107 Posts
I would ask for 3-4% below invoice, which usually is the starting Costco Buying offer. You'll have more leverage if you are interested in one of the 2017 vehicles already on the lot.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,539 Posts
@castle...no one sells cars for 3-4% below invoice...don't confuse invoice with MSRP. The discounts Costco and others provide are off of MSRP and not invoice.

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,362 Posts
@castle...no one sells cars for 3-4% below invoice...don't confuse invoice with MSRP. The discounts Costco and others provide are off of MSRP and not invoice.
The Vip Discount is Invoice and under. this is widely known.

paid invoice -2% for my last 2 foresters and the 2013 outback.

Then they killed leave no trace as an invoice -2% VIP partner. Looking for a new one.. Leave no trace is now invoice price.

I have never heard of more than invoice -2% although some of the mass marketing dealers will beat it by a couple hundred bucks.

IIRC costco is around invoice price and no-haggle.. which is big bonus at some dealers.

·
Registered
19 19 Touring, 17TrgXT CVT
632 Posts
I don't believe it's 2-5% below invoice but below MSRP.

@securityguy when I checked out the VIP program in Dec. 2016, I was told they had two tiers - one was at invoice, and another at invoice less 2%. I believe they mentioned they also had a military discount which was some % below invoice (which I totally applaud and support - if anyone deserves the best no haggle deal it should be active US Military and Veterans in addition to Law Enforcement, Firefighters, and First Responders).

The SOA VIP rep at that time told me they were moving more towards at invoice versus invoice less 2% and had dropped some partners. Since you are in sales, you know that incentives tend to dry up once your product is on a solid, sustainable growth and profit curve. @Rand description of the change that happened to Leave No Trace was what the Subaru VIP Rep was referring to (from 2% under invoice to at invoice). However, here is an example of a invoice less 2% program for 2017 at JP Morgan's Chase:

https://www.chase.com/content/dam/chasecom/en/efs/documents/jpmorgan_vip_promo.pdf

I was able to get invoice less 2% and in the case of my vehicle, the "less 2%" worked out to $714 below invoice. I was happier then a fly in poo with my negotiated deal since my VIP program offered only at invoice pricing. That was until I discovered the 2017 Price Paid thread and saw all the great work that you and others were getting $1000 - $1500+ less then invoice. If I got my XT Touring at $1500 below invoice that would have been approximately 4% less then invoice. Good job, I only wish I had saw that thread before I made my deal!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well that rots. It should be better than a bunch of JP Morgan Bankers at 2% under.

·
Registered
2017 2.0XT Touring
107 Posts
Here is a real case for a fully loaded XT Touring (all numbers before destination, taxes and fees):
MSRP: $37.2K
Invoice $34.8K
Sell price: $33.5K

$3.7K below MSRP, $1.3K below invoice (or 3.7% below invoice).

·
Registered
632 Posts
One nuance with the way my Dealer figured out the VIP discount- I got the 2% off the destination charge also. Small amount, but any savings is appreciated. My total price before the discount was $38,132 including destination and my buy price before taxes and fees, but including destination was $34,485

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,539 Posts
@castle...I am with you my friend as I obtained a very similar deal on my 17 Foz so let me clarify. What I am referring to is that these programs that are advertised do not offer 3-4% off invoice and typically cap at 2% which, one could argue that 2% is still a decent deal...however, you have to negotiate well to get a deal like you and I have, as well as several others. Many factors are at play here too. Time of the month...where the dealer is to hitting quota...the vehicle model and packages, etc. My XT Touring had an MSRP of just over $38K with invoice at just over $35K. After negotiating for a week and working the GM hard, I was able to get almost $1600 off invoice which put me at 4.5% below invoice. As I have been telling folks for quite some time...if you can get $500 off invoice that's not bad. $750 is solid and $1K is a great deal. Anything more is just about timing and persistence and your ability to walk away until you get what you want.

·
Registered
632 Posts
@securityguy that is a great deal. Did you purchase from stock or order? I ordered and at that time there was a 90 day projected lead time

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,539 Posts
@JumpingJackFlash...I looked all over and could not find what I wanted until I ran across a dealer that had one on allocation and stated it would arrive in 3-4 weeks. I put a $500 "deposit" down so they knew I was serious. They really wanted to move their initial allocation quickly to put some numbers on the board and the GM and sales manager were awesome and gave me everything I asked for...although it took a week to get them there:grin2: I love the game and the wheeling and dealing...it's in my DNA. What I like more than anything is winning the game:wink2:

·
Registered
632 Posts
That's awesome. I wanted a very specific vehicle that had to be ordered so that limited my negotiation window (at least in the Western PA Area - not a lot of stock relative to the Upper NE and NW) However, I suspect I left $500 on the table...grrrr It's all about discipline and focus when negotiating - I just wanted it bad enough to pull the plug and order at just 2% under invoice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts