Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking for some help with my 2001 Forester with 144K miles on it. Bought it a few months ago with a brand new head gasket on it (big selling point for me). Found out a few weeks ago that when the engine was pulled the torque converter seal was damaged. I got the seal replaced as well as a new rear main seal in the process. When I came to pick the car up they mechanic told me that the torque converter shaft itself was damaged when the engine was pulled, and I may need a new torque converter if the seal failed again. Well now, 10 days after picking up my car I'm dripping ATF again.

What will it cost me to get a new torque converter? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you for your help,
Jonathan

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
I have not has to look for or replace a Subaru converter but below is what I have run into before for other brands.

New(dealer) I would venture a guess at around $500, I would not be surprised if it was higher. PM one of our vendors for a discounted price. Supporting Vendors - Subaru Forester Owners Forum (Annapolis Subaru)

Reman/rebuilt auto parts store around $250-350 + core charge(assumed).
Did find this site, Subaru Automatic Transmission repair parts, supply the parts save money! - Drivetrain.com

Salvage yard $100-200. Had both good and bad experiences doing salvage yard TC, if the car was scrapped due to a transmission issue this can result in a nightmare. Say the vehicle had fatal transmission issues that sent debris into the fluid. That same fluid is supplied to the TC and carries that debris with it. You install the used one on your car unleashing the debris into your transmission. If it was scrapped for other reasons(accident, engine....) it can be a way to save a chunk of cash.

There may also be a repair item called a speedi sleeve that slides over the damaged section of shaft allowing the seal to ride on the sleeve vs the damaged shaft. Though one may not be available for this application.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your quick reply. Any idea how much time to install? It sucks having to pay someone another grand to fix a problem that I could have tossed another 300 at originally. How hard is it to pull the tranny? I have pretty good experience working on my car but i dont know if i trust myself with this tranny.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
Labor = about the same as replacing the front seal on the transmission and rear main seal on the engine(same steps), which I would do again(trans seal) as it could have been damaged by the bad torque converter shaft. $10 spent now may save $500 down the road.

Personally the mechanic should have called you to let you know the TC shaft was damaged and given you the option of risk it and put it back together or replace it now and not have to worry about it, but that is a whole separate argument.

If it were mine I would rate my options as follows, all depends on what is available.
1. speedi sleeve
2. reman/rebuilt TC
3. salvage yard TC(must know why it is there)
4. new OEM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts