Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Ltd.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2009 x limited with 98k miles. The exhaust has a small hole up near the manifold. I have been told by a private shop the first section of the exhaust is $3k with a total replacement of around $5k. Advised to trade the vehicle rather than repair. Hard to believe it’s this costly. I verified through my local dealer as well. Does anyone know of an alternative? Is it possible for a shop to cut the piece out and weld a new shorter section? Please advise.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
WALKER 16564 on Rockauto is about $340. Its the complicated portion of your era of Foz. Assuming NJ does not follow California emissions, you should be ok. But, the exhaust place may have been assuming they would need to replace a lot more. Which is possible and likely since a hole up front means a LOT of salt exposure to the rest as well. This part up front in 09 appears to be pretty complicated, with catalytic converters etc.

WALKER KIT24767657 is the Rockauto kit for the entire rest of the exhaust. Also about $310.

Once was the day that Walker was the NAME in exhaust parts. Not so much if you read reviews these days. No personal experience. So this is NOT a recommendation of Walker, only a price comparison.

Unless you go with stock OEM subaru parts, there is NO WAY it should cost $3000

Shop around.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Ltd.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! My mechanic was against using aftermarket, but still seems crazy high cost.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
I have had more trouble than its worth for aftermarket CATALYTIC CONVERTERS. The problem is that there is a cat converter in both the manifold and the first pipe. In just parts, those two OEM sections alone is $1600 total.

The rest of the system downstream of the manifold and first pipe can be whatever....I would go with Bosal's kit which is like $350.

I think your mechanic is gouging you big time if he's quoting $5k. Replacing the entire system at once is pretty easy. Unbolt the manifold, cut everything else and remove it off the hangers (might take 15 minutes up on a lift). The only labor intensive part would have been if you try to save one cruddy section that they have to deal with corrosion.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Ltd.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had more trouble than its worth for aftermarket CATALYTIC CONVERTERS. The problem is that there is a cat converter in both the manifold and the first pipe. In just parts, those two OEM sections alone is $1600 total.

The rest of the system downstream of the manifold and first pipe can be whatever....I would go with Bosal's kit which is like $350.

I think your mechanic is gouging you big time if he's quoting $5k. Replacing the entire system at once is pretty easy. Unbolt the manifold, cut everything else and remove it off the hangers (might take 15 minutes up on a lift). The only labor intensive part would have been if you try to save one cruddy section that they have to deal with corrosion.
Thanks. Good advice.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5-speed manual
169 Posts
Excluding new heat shields and all the nuts, bolts and gaskets you will need, and not having your VIN, the Official Subaru Online Parts Store listing shows that to replace all the catalytic converters in the exhaust system, excluding all the other rusty bits is: $2428.54.

Originally from Northern California, I now live east of metro NYC. The often needless use of road salt and its well documented excessive over saturation has rendered the exhaust system from the center pipe back on the 2010 Forester I just bought a solid piece of rust, thanks to spending its life so far in the New York portion of the Salt Belt. (New York State has some of the largest salt mines in the country, hence the over use of salt.) It is unfortunate that Subaru chose not to use stainless steel like other manufactures.

If the rest of your exhaust system looks as bad as what I just described, then spending $5k on parts and labor for what appears to be a quote for a complete exhaust system from the cylinder heads to the tail pipe tips does not seem unreasonable for a car that spend a decade in the salt belt that does not need to be. Lets hope the exhaust studs and nuts in the cylinder heads do not pose a problem or prove easy to remove and replace if they are too badly corroded. And so too for the O2 sensors.

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2...AUST--EXHAUST-COVER-09MY-10MY/S12-440-03.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts