Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited Automatic
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a 2009 Forester XT I am looking upgrading the audio and I really don't know much about it. I'm curious to opinions and suggestions.

I am talking with a shop about install for head unit, speakers, and sound dampening..

Looking at Pioneer AVH 2400BT @ $419 plus $85 for install including (soldering all connections, heat shrink connections and braid wires)
With additonal costs of $28 for install kit and $20 for wiring harness

Hybrid Audio speakers at $249 plus $170 install pricing (seems quite high to me??) including building mounting baffles and running stinger wire from HU to doors. this is just replacing front set and forgetting about the rear speakers.

Then sound dampening around $120/door.

I don't know a lot about all of this but I feel like this is quite steep? Open to opinions and thoughts please.

·
Registered
2008 X Premium Manual
19 Posts
Head unit price seems about on par for retail with the labor and parts involved. You can buy the parts cheaper yourself (headunit is $345, harness for $10, install kit $20) but you'd have to do the install yourself as well (pretty easy though).

Not sure what speakers you're talking about. Judging by the price, I bet they're components. Seems about right for the amount of time it would take to install. I think spending money on new wiring is a waste, however. If they're not super efficient speakers (over 90db) you will want an amp to drive them.

Sound damping for $120/door is pretty expensive unless they're using good stuff, the entire door is treated, and the holes are covered with sheetmetal.

I would install a new headunit and see how you like the new sound. Stock decks are not all that impressive and a new headunit will make a big difference. If you're still not happy, add new speakers. Later you can damp the doors if rattles start to annoy you.

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT Auto
37 Posts
If they are using a harness to plug the radio in to the factory harness there would be no need to run wires from your head unit to the door speakers, they can use the factory wiring like I did. They also make little bubbles to go around the speakers to hel keep the sound aimed at the cabin and they sell for about $15 to $20. If you are handy at all with basic tools I would look at Crutchfield.com to see what they have to offer. I have been ordering from them for a few years now and they said step by step instructions as to what you have to do to replace your audio components. It would probaby take you a few hours to complete the job and you could prbably save some money.

I just looked and they have the head unit you are looking at for $349. It is out of stock at the moment but if you called them they would tell you when it will be available. They have a great sales staff and tech staff.

·
Registered
2008 FXT Sports 5MT
20 Posts
I think sound deadening trumps all. With the gentlemanly assistance of O-Dubs, I added 1.5 bulk packs of dynamat, 1.5 packs of dynaliner and about 15 pounds of polyfil to the ride last night.

All told: about $200 in parts and 6-8 hrs of labor to do 5 doors, front floor, and cargo area. The car now sounds like a BMW...... Stereo changes may follow for me, but I think $200 worth of sound deadening leaves you with a better sound system experience than keeping the car a stock rattle trap and adding $200 of stereo equipment

Oh, and regarding the OP: that seems on the expensive side, especially the sound deadening.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
A few items to think about:
Radio antenna adapter is needed.
Order the 2011 console trim for double din stock look.
Steering wheel control unit.

I went the route with an amp install and little things like good RCAs, distributor blocks, firewall grommet and a capacitor are things to keep in mind.

I agree with the above posts to get sound deadening. The shop that did my install wanted a small fortune. Something a friend and I can tackle on a weekend.

Dave

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited Automatic
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More and more I am thinking about doing the work on my own, but still a bit hesitant =P

This shop is very against me buying my own products and bringing it to them to install....this really detracts me from even wanting to deal with them.

I did find another shop that will do $65 speaker install, $50 HU install.

I am feeling curious and may just go in and do the HU first by myself.

Sound deadening is something I definitely want to do but feel I would prefer to have a shop do it so it is done correctly. If I were to install the speakers and then go for the sound deadening would this be a bad idea? Would they be taking out the speakers to do it?

·
Registered
2011 WRX 5MT
190 Posts
Hey all I have a 2009 Forester XT I am looking upgrading the audio and I really don't know much about it. I'm curious to opinions and suggestions.

I am talking with a shop about install for head unit, speakers, and sound dampening..

Looking at Pioneer AVH 2400BT @ $419 plus $85 for install including (soldering all connections, heat shrink connections and braid wires)
With additonal costs of $28 for install kit and $20 for wiring harness

Hybrid Audio speakers at $249 plus $170 install pricing (seems quite high to me??) including building mounting baffles and running stinger wire from HU to doors. this is just replacing front set and forgetting about the rear speakers.

Then sound dampening around $120/door.

I don't know a lot about all of this but I feel like this is quite steep? Open to opinions and thoughts please.
The first word that comes to mind: OVERPRICED

Head unit price notwithstanding, you can get the wiring for $10 on Amazon (as was mentioned above) and even if you go with the JDM bezel (which looks WORLDS better than the aftermarket plastic bezel AND it allows you to use the OEM metal mounting brackets) you will still be far ahead of the $133 that you are being quoted for a headunit install. It takes about 60 minutes to install a headunit in the Fozzy. Including a bathroom break. And maybe a beer run.

Pictures of the differences between the aftermarket bezel and the JDM bezel:

Aftermarket (note the trim ring immedately around the face of the headunit to fill the gap between the OEM bezel and the aftermarket HU):

JDM (note that the bezel goes right to the edges of the HU without a trim ring):

The HU install process in your Forester is the same as in my WRX.

Audio System | Subaru Audio

$170 to install door speakers? Again- a 60-minute job. I will almost bet the farm that the price includes MDF baffles (a BAD idea in car doors) and that they will proably run new wires to the doors but still mount the crossovers in the doors. (not the best option, but not a bad one, either).

For $170, they should use a synthetic baffle material (PVC, HDPE) and should run a 14/4 or 16/4 wire to the doors to allow the crossovers to be mounted in the cabin. You need to ask them where they intend to mount the crossovers at that price.

As for the need to run new wiring to the doors- Bull$h!+ (unless putting the crossovers in the cabin). OEM wiring can handle mure than 50W RMS to the door speakers. I believe that the math on it puts the OEM capacity over 75w, but I can't remember for sure. I actually ran my amplifier wires back to behind the HU and tapped into the OEM door speaker wire, then located my crossovers in the doors high up in the cavity.

That link above gets into the whole install, including door speakers.

If (and that is a big IF) they intend to run new 16/4 or 14/4 wiring to the doors to allow the crossovers to be mounted in the kickpanels or in the dash cavity, and IF they intend to use a speaker baffle made from PVC or HDPE, then MAYBE the $170 is in the realm of reasonable. Even then, I am still not convinced.

The $120 price for sound deadening (materials & labor) is about the only thing that seems reasonable...except that they are already IN the doors to do the door speakers. You are paying full retail for the materials and probably double-paying for the labor.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
See links to pictures of the various dash kit options, as well as info on harnesses here.

What is the model of your OEM radio? (printed on the front, near the display)

Does your steering wheel have the audio controls? If so, do you want to retain them?

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,362 Posts
Thats retail.. try to negotiate a package price. I got 250$ knocked off mine for getting it at same time.

Also to bust their balls a little print out prices of all the gear from AUTHORIZED SELLERS. Then ask why they are making so much on parts AND labor from you. Be nice if you actually want them to do the work.

The sound deadening should be WAYY cheaper if its already opened to put speakers in.

front speakers get nice components ~~150$ or so rears just get co-axle 2ways 99$ or so.

done right should be about 800 for 4 speakers install and deck. with front door sound deadening.

no need for new wires to the doors.

ask why they are charging you so much for installing when its already opened up for installing the other gear.

no need for crazy good speakers unless you are spending a mint on everything.. you want balance.

I would also suggest an amp.. although an aftermarket HU should be 2-3x the watts of a stock HU

1 - 9 of 9 Posts