Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 XT EA4T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically, the alloys on my FOZ. I just had a set of Michelin's mounted on the XT I purchased this past fall.
After taking off the old tires, the mechanic showed me the inside of the rims where the bead usually sits. It was quite pitted and corroded. He told me that he sees this on a regualar basis with Subarus. He wire brushed, sanded and applied a "sealant" of sorts on the affected area. He said that it should be okay, but to be aware of the problem and to watch for any abnormal leakage. So. My question is, is this a regular problem? If so, has Subaru addressed this issue? Any TB's or recalls? I've had alloys on other cars in the past, and this is a first for me. Thanks for any info you can forward.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
I would not call it a Subaru thing. Many tire installers use a product called Ru-glide to lube the bead prior to installation on the rim. The are other bead lubricants out there too but this is the most common(in my area).

The issue is many cut it with water to make it last longer as it can be some what pricey. The water once trapped in the bead after the tire is mounted starts the corrosion process, the water just has no where to go since it is trapped in the bead. I used to see it a lot on aluminum motorcycle wheels.

The surface can be refinished as your tire installer did. The next step would be to bead blast the area and reseal it.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
Yep, seen in on a couple sets of stock alloys, including the set off my Mazda. Common problem for aluminum wheels, not just Subaru's. However, I haven't had the problem with my aftermarket wheels, but they've been forged aluminum, not cast, maybe that makes a difference.

And the reasoning above is correct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts