Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester xt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the engine air filter on a 2009 xt, and was taking a look at it today. I havent found any how to threads, and want to make sure i dont overlook anything so simple. Do i just release the clamps and unhook unhook maf?
thanks
jerry

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
'09 owner's manual instructions look pretty straightforward; check pages 11-16 (n/a motor) and -17 (turbo).

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 forester xt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'09 owner's manual instructions look pretty straightforward; check pages 11-16 (n/a motor) and -17 (turbo).

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
I'm going to get it now, thanks alot.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Between that and the interior A/F, I was done in maybe 10 minutes. Real easy to do. I do them both every 12 months even if not needed.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
12k seems about right, I usually wait till 15k it will depend on where you live.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Got 5 of each (OEM SOA, in Boxes) really cheap........so I'm gonna use them, certainly can't hurt. Oh and when I meant not needed, I didn't mean that they weren't dirty. If you want the old ones I can send them to you.........:biggrin:

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT
500 Posts
for the sake of a few quid I do it every 10k miles with the oil as recommended. Which is at least twice a year for me.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
:confused: What did you mean then?
At 12 months the engine A/F is not that dirty but the new one is cleaner so..............in it goes. The in-cabin filter is worse than the engine A/F. As I said why not for $5.

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
I need to replace the engine air filter on a 2009 xt, and was taking a look at it today. I havent found any how to threads, and want to make sure i dont overlook anything so simple. Do i just release the clamps and unhook unhook maf?
thanks
jerry
I found it much easier to replace it by removing the entire filter box.
Without removing it it's pretty hard to get the top of the box closed again as the filter gets in between the top "hatch". I just remove box, reinstall the filter, close the box and put it back in.

·
Registered
2009 forester xt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found it much easier to replace it by removing the entire filter box.
Without removing it it's pretty hard to get the top of the box closed again as the filter gets in between the top "hatch". I just remove box, reinstall the filter, close the box and put it back in.[/QUOTE

I agree, i did this the other day, and there isnt alot of room to fit the filter in! Removing the entire box seems somehow easier:)

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
9 Posts
Filter direction

Which way does the filter go? 1st time I replaced the filter the pleats were facing front.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts