Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports XT AutoTragic
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm exhausted from searching the forum (including the so-called "fitment" threads) so its time to ask those who have been down this road before me....

I am shopping aftermarket rims for my '08 FSXT and have pretty much settled on 17x8 ET45 as the size that best gets me the looks and handling I'm after.

Now the issue is tire size. I want a tire that sits correctly on the rim in terms of safety, handling, and appearance but I want to stay as close as I can to the oem rolling diameter. I was close to pulling the trigger on a set of 225/50-17 tires but the specs say the rim width they are tested on is only 7". Using them on an 8" rim is acceptable but will alter the diameter and may result in the tire looking "stretched" which I definitely don't want. I'd prefer that the tire's sidewall look perfectly vertical to outside edge of the rim. I'm also concerned about the impact on handling and long term tire wear.

For those of you who run the same wheel spec and understand what I'm looking for, which tire size did you end up using? Did it clear the struts without rubbing? Did you like the appearance on the rim (Did it look like enough tread and section width without looking like too much tire for the rim?) Do you have any pics shot at an angle (diagonal to the tire) that shows the finished appearance?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,250 Posts
I go here when I need to see what will fit on our vehicles. It's very easy to use... enter your factory/OEM data on one side & what you want to try on other side. Read the data to see if it will work. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. Actually, I've been to the site you posted the link to before. Unfortunately, it isn't car specific, which worries me; what is "acceptable for most cars" may not be acceptable for mine. Whats more, it doesn't help me see the finished appearance of the setup on my car.

But again, thanks for the info.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,250 Posts
That web site gave me 99% of the critical information I needed. I knew if the tire/wheel combination was the same diameter as the stock tire/wheel combination & how close the tire would be to the suspension or the fenders.

The things I couldn't get there... the type of tire I wanted & how it actually would look on our vehicles, I got from my trusted Les Schwab tire guy. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
225/50 won't be stretched on 8" wheel. I'd pick 225/50 on 8" wheel over 7" wheel any day. You could consider 235/45s, too.

FWIW, '07 STi came with 225/45s on 17x8" wheels stock.

As a reference though it's not a Forester, 225/50 tires on 17x8 wheels on my TSX:

Stan

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Stan. Your point about the STI's stock rims coming with 225/45 tires was very helpful and I can't believe I didn't think of that, as I had an 05 STI that came with the same wheels and tires as the 07. Thanks for the pics too.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
As another reference point, Audi A4 and Acura TL come with 17x8 wheels and 235/45 tires. I'm in a similar situation myself, TSX came with 225/50s on 17x7.5" wheels and I need to figure out what to get for these 17x8 BBSs (tires pictured were worn).

I once saw a TL with 255/40s on stock wheels, looked pretty square and agressive.

Stan

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm wondering now if I should consider going with 235/50-17 tires, since the circumference (rolling diameter) of the tires is almost identical to the stockers and most manufacturers use a 7.5-8" rim for their test rim for that size.

So does anyone have pics of 235/50-17 tires on 17x8" rims that they would like to share with me?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
I had 235/50s on '04 STi 17x7.5" BBSs. I didn't care for them much compared to 225/45s they replaced, 8" wheel will fit them better but it's still a lot of sidewall. Comfy, though.

Stan

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
235/50R17 is my recommendation. My Yokohama s.Drives in that size read accurately on the speedo and perfectly counter the built in ~3% error. My speedometer reads dead on with GPS now.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
235/50R17 is my recommendation. My Yokohama s.Drives in that size read accurately on the speedo and perfectly counter the built in ~3% error. My speedometer reads dead on with GPS now.
Do you have some pics you can share?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
I'd go 235/50 for comfort, 225/45 for best handling and 225/50 or 235/45 for happy medium. I'm going to try 235/45 myself, it's the only size from above I have not tried.

Stan

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am grateful to you guys for your input and your pics. Based on both, I believe I'll go with 225/50 as it keeps me relatively close on the speedo accuracy issue, and I find that size more pleasing esthetically than the 235/50.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts