Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Forester with the original Yokohama Geolander tires. I always keep about 32 lbs of pressure in each tire. Today I noticed that the door plate recommends 29F 28B (light load) and 29F 36B (heavy load). Which is correct? The auto repair shops inflate the tires at 32-34 lbs. I live in Western Washington in fairly cool wet weather most of the year. Thanks.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
I run 36psi all round in my Michelin XM1's and did the same with the Yodels (Yokohama's - they squeal all the time otherwise).

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
If you really want to get crazy, just get a pyrometer and check the temps immediately after a romp.

If the center of the tire is cooler than the average of the outside temps then you need more air. Do the opposite if the center temp is hotter.

This method ensure even wear and tire contact.

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
653 Posts
sirwilliam said:
32 is fine...you will get better gas mileage using 32 than what the door plate states.
x2, at least in my experience.

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
On my Geosquelers, I run 35 in the front tires and 34 psi in the rears.

Trying my best to wear these suckers out so I can get some new shoes!

Michael

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
While noobies will not have had a chance to have seen threads on this, I'm surprised to see that the manufacturer said to keep within two pounds of each other...it may be that the heavy load settings somehow take into account the disruption of a circle that a heavy load would cause on a tire (in geometric terms, a chord instead of an arc...).
-Quick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts