Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester Automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is my first post on the forum; I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I've recently acquired a 1998 Subaru Forester S, and while I love the car, the gas milage is horrible (17-19 MPG, with mostly highway driving). The car has Bridgestone Potenza G019 tires on it. What is the optimal pressure for these tires to be at? They are currently at 39 PSI in the font and 36 PSI in the rear. The tag on the drivers door had the suggested PSI in the high 20's, which I thought was too low for these tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,552 Posts
I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

I'd say your tire pressure is high enough. I have Toyo Proxes 4, 235/45-18 on my Forester & I'm running 36F/34R.

If your gas mileage is low & assuming all your maintenance is up to date, you might consider replacing the front O2 sensor if has a lot of miles on it. They can be failing long before they cause a CEL. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
1998 Forester Automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information! I've adjusted the tires, and saw a 3 MPG increase this week! I will have the O2 sensor checked out- I'm pretty sure it is older. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2000 Forester S AT
972 Posts
I run 36/34 PSI as well, unless I'm towing, which is 36/36. I get ~22.x MPG mixed, or ~26 highway.

Since it is new to you, make sure all the regular maintenance has been done, oil, air filter, plugs, upper intake cleaning (search seafoam treatment), etc. When I first got mine, I was lucky to get 17.5 MPG, but the above, plus O2 sensors, (P0420 CEL), etc got me to the 22.x mixed. Now I just have to keep out of the loud pedal and I might see 23 mixed. ;)

Do you know when the timing belt was replaced? How many miles does it have?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts