Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many 'clicks' of the parking brake handle is considered within specification for correct operation of the parking brake on an '04 FXT?

I just had a safety inspection done by the dealer so I could get the car registered and they failed the operation of the parking brake. They adjusted it and charged me .5 hour labour (car still has full fact. warr) as "adjustments" are only covered for 1 yr or 20k km. I had no issues with the brake and it seemed to work correctly (did not have to pull it too high and it had good tension and it held the car). Now that it has been adjusted, It is very stiff at one click and I can not pull it more than 3 clicks. I have never had a parking brake this stiff in the 10 or so cars that I have owned.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Take Peatys factory picture to your dealer and have them explain why it was not done correctly. I think they were just looking for money and let their wash boy do it.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
8-10 clicks

Adjustments are covered 3/36 by SOA

Not sure about SOC, but I am pretty sure they have the same coverage as SOA.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
Had my console off today and took this pic.

Attachments

G

·
Peaty...

...you mention on your link that Subaru's parking brake is "interesting" in that it does not use the disc surface for the parking brake application.

How could you use the disc part for parking (E-brake) function? Assuming it is for emergency and parking, I would want a more mechanical connection than the hydraulic brakes would offer. What if a leak occured?

And I know Toyota uses the same setup for many of their four wheel disc brake cars ("drum" built in to the rear disc for parking brake.) It is not Subaru-specific.

Sorry... didn't mean to get side-tracked but I wanted to know what was so "interesting" about these parking brake setups.

foresterFL

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
The type of e-brakes I've seen in the past use the caliper and rotor. This is an example, the cable pulls on the caliper slide . It's a lot cheaper. The pic is from a TSB I had documented back in 96 but you get the idea. Fully mechanical but uses the disk.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
My 86 Saab used the caliper & rotor. Worked very well as I remember.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Has anyone had problems with their parking brake needing constant adjustment? I purchased my 01 in February, and had them tighten the brake right off the bat. About two weeks later, it was loose again! Had them tighten it when I had it back for a new cupholder in the back (part of the deal when I bought it).

Now, lo and behold, it's loose again! I know I'm a little tough on the brake, as I have a sloped driveway. My parking procedure is to put the vehicle in neutral, apply the p brake, release the foot brake, reapply the foot brake, put it in park, and shut 'er down. Call me nuts, but I prefer the weight of the vehicle rests on the p brake, and not the tranny.

I'm thinking that it might just be a new(er) cable that needs to be stretched, or something along those lines. Has anyone changed their cable and had a while of continually adjusting it?

Thanks!

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
jptrsn said:
Has anyone had problems with their parking brake needing constant adjustment? I purchased my 01 in February, and had them tighten the brake right off the bat. About two weeks later, it was loose again! Had them tighten it when I had it back for a new cupholder in the back (part of the deal when I bought it).

Now, lo and behold, it's loose again! I know I'm a little tough on the brake, as I have a sloped driveway. My parking procedure is to put the vehicle in neutral, apply the p brake, release the foot brake, reapply the foot brake, put it in park, and shut 'er down. Call me nuts, but I prefer the weight of the vehicle rests on the p brake, and not the tranny.

I'm thinking that it might just be a new(er) cable that needs to be stretched, or something along those lines. Has anyone changed their cable and had a while of continually adjusting it?

Thanks!
From my experience of driving autos if you park on a slope and put the lever into Park and it rolls backward slightly you may have a helluva job of getting the lever out of that position.

jptrsn
My parking procedure is to put the vehicle in neutral, apply the p brake, release the foot brake, reapply the foot brake, put it in park, and shut 'er down.

Here is my procedure when driving an Auto:

1. Apply foot brake to hold the vehicle
2. Apply E-brake (handbrake here Downunder)
3. Release foot brake to make sure the E-brake will hold the car first.
4. Move shift selector into Park position.
5. Turn off the engine.

When moving the vehicle after this:

1. Apply footbrake with full force
2. Move shift selector into Neutral
3. Start the engine
4. Select Reverse or Drive whichever is applicable
for your parked position.
5. Release the E-brake
6. Take off as normal

·
Registered
2008 2.5X 4 speed automatic
403 Posts

Now, lo and behold, it's loose again!
My guess would be either the locking nut (under the console) is loose or nonexistent, or the cable is stretching.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts