Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
00 version1
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after reading the "How to go faster then an STI for Cheap" thread regarding swapping out the ECU with an 04 STI's ecu. I decided to call COBB to get some answer. I don't know if that thread was pre COPP AP V2 or not, but here it goes. (I owned an 04 STI Cobb Stage II a few years back, so I'm pretty familiar with the Cobb AP)

Per Cobb although the AP part number for the XT and STI are the same, they are different. Each AP is programmed specifically for each car. With that said, they stated that I would only need the AP specific to the XT and can flash to whatever program I choose, aslong as I have the supporting mod. That is easy enough. So I don't have to drop and additional $150-$200 for an STI ECU plus $600.00 for a COBB AP. Can anyone confirm this or do you think Cobb just wants to push their Cobb AP for the XT? Their are plenty of used AP for the 04 STI on Naisoc, but hesitant to purchase one if that is the case. I'd have to say I'd rarely seen anyone sell a used AP for the XT.

Anyone???

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Crap, the only model specific ones were the V1 AP's. Skip the sti ecu it gets you nothing (edit: I take that back it does have a marginally higher MAF voltage range but still absolutely pointless) and the ONLY reason to swap it is to run a stock sti tune i.e. your car plus vf39 and sti intercooler. Get an AP-002 and you will be fine as long as it is unmarried, or go opensource (my recommendation)

·
Banned
00 version1
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

So your saying that the AP for both 04-07 Sti and 04-08 SG are one in the same. They do have the same part number AP-SUB-002?

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Buy used......Cobb wants your money, of course they will tell you to buy from them. BUY USED, I don't know how to be any clearer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts