Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Around 3:45 today i got a distress call from my girlfriend. She had a blow out on Rt. 287 near Wanaque NJ. I figure she hit a nail or something and got a flat, what i found was quite disturbing:

These tires were put on i believe in October and were inflated to 40psi. The max cold pressure on them was 45.

I asked my girlfriend if she hit anything, she said no. She was driving along and started hearing a noise, as she was pulling over the tire just exploded. I'm very thankful she was already slowing down when the tire exploded, because a blow out like that @ 70mph could've been devistating.

The car was her mothers car and i told her that she and/or her mother should call cooper or at the very least the shop that installed the tire to inform them of what happened and to get replacement tires.

After seeing how the whole tire literally fell apart, treads, belts and even the sidewall split in half right down the seam on both sides, i'd be leary of putting cooper tires on any car....

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
It could be that the tire has simply overheated in the warmer temps, then started to delaminate.

The Weather-Master XGR is a dedicated winter tire, typically winter tires are designed for temps below 50 degrees F. Looking up the weather history for Lake NJ for the last month it looks like the temps have ranged from the 50s-70s.

The Complete Winter Tires Guide
. A good guideline for installing your winter tires is once the temperature is regularly 10 degrees Celsius or less, and they should be removed once the temperatures are consistently higher than 10 degrees Celsius.
However I still agree, bring the tire to a local cooper tire rep and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
The city puts coopers on our squad cars. Which tells me that they must be the cheapest thing they can get, which is enough to prevent me from considering them, and this event only reinforces my already negative experiences with them. Having driven on their so called performance tire on the Impala squad I have to drive at work, I can say cooper tires feel sub-par or at least the ones the city buys do. Glad your gf did not get hurt or her vehicle wrecked.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
I've driven over 145,000 miles on Cooper Discoverer ATR, Cooper Lifeliner and Cooper Winter tires with zero problems.

Don't tar the entire Cooper brand a junk over one failed tire and the low end ones purchased by municipalities.

I would definitely e-mail Cooper the photos of the failed tire. Pretty nasty blowout to say the least.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,577 Posts
When you have a piece of equipment (or a tire) fail catastrophically, its probably too late to determine the cause. I wouldn't go blaming Cooper bc the end product looks like this.

My guess is that the tire became flat due to a road hazard and the driver continued to drive it to catastrophic failure. Just an opinion.

And this is just perception but the wheel looks like...well....like it has not been looked at/cleaned etc for a while. Again..only a perception.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Do I see a gouge out of the rim at 12 o'clock in picture two?

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
My nephew was driving on the last day of school and a new Cooper tire exploded on his girlfriends SUV.
They had too many people in the truck (were headed to the beach on senior skip day) and he was the only one wearing a seat belt.
Five people died.
FHP determined the tire was primarily at fault for the accident.

I would put them on my vehicles if you paid me.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT MT
59 Posts
Glad that everything is okay, and your girl not injured, but it was 90* in NJ yesterday. That tire was absolutely not designed to operate in that temperature.
I would go to Cooper, and demand a new tire, but promptly put them all in the shed until November.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good thing she wasn't injured. It might not be the brand, but the age itself. How old is the tire in question?
Can't be older then 6 months, and you can see in the pictures there's still a ton of tread left on the tires. I never really liked these tires though, on numerouse occasions I would randomly check them because they always looked really low but when i checked them they were at the proper PSI.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
Do I see a gouge out of the rim at 12 o'clock in picture two?
It does look like that in Picture 2, but I do not see it in picture 6. Also the rim could have been damaged while pulling over, so that really would be inconclusive.

Can't be older then 6 months, and you can see in the pictures there's still a ton of tread left on the tires. I never really liked these tires though, on numerouse occasions I would randomly check them because they always looked really low but when i checked them they were at the proper PSI.
What is the Manufactures date? Warning: Old Tires can be Sold as New - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

Also, most (if not all) Winter tires, since they are softer tend to look more "flat" when properly inflated.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
BINGO! Cooper tires just e-mailed me back to tell me this model tire was discontinued in 2004!!! These tires were definately old tires sold as new and i wanna find out who sold them to her.
Whenever buying tires, it's best to specifically request brand new stock. Ask the service writer to provide the date code. That should ensure that they check.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did she run over a Samurai? :lol: Seriously, though...Glad she is okay. That is nuts looking.
It must've been a Ninja cause whatever it was she didn't see it and it didn't make a sound :raspberry:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Old tires, over pressure, and in too hot a temp. Pretty much the worst conditions possible for using a tire. IMO cooper makes some garbage tires, but so do a lot of other brands, a lot of the rallyx crowd up here used to use the weathermasters, so they're not an entirely terrible tire. People really need to start looking at the actual manufacture date of tires that are sold as new, a lot of winter tires are old stock.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I guess the manufacture date is somewhere in those numbers... I didn't see any numbers that totally matched the examples on tire rack.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Try the tire's other sidewall:

While the entire Tire Identification Number is required to be branded onto one sidewall of every tire, current regulations also require that DOT and the first digits of the Tire Identification Number must also be branded onto the opposite sidewall. Therefore, it is possible to see a Tire Identification Number that appears incomplete and requires looking at the tire’s other sidewall to find the entire Tire Identification Number
REF: Determining the Age of a Tire

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts