Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2000 Forester L
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
how to bleed air out?

Surely appears to be a thermostat problem. Only other explanation is a blockage. Be sure to bleed all air out of system.

good luck
How to bleed air out of system? That just seems to make sense. I'd like to try that first. And how could I check for a blockage? Thanks TF as always, your advice has been invaluable!

· Registered
2000 Forester L
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
How to bleed air out of system? That just seems to make sense. I'd like to try that first. And how could I check for a blockage? Thanks TF as always, your advice has been invaluable!
Um, just did a quick Google, ehow says take off rad cap, run till hot, if air is in system it will "burp" out the radiator... does this sound right?

I'm doubting there's a blockage as I was very careful with all the parts as I removed & re-installed them. (but who knows, strange things can happen)

· Registered
376 Posts
That should do it. I don't know how sensitve the Forester is to trapped air. Some vehicles have a problem. I've had a problem w/ bleeding air one time on an Accord.

It shouldn't take more than 1-2 mins to circulate out trapped air, and refill the cooling system.

good luck

· Registered
2000 Forester L
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Get the front end up in the air on some ramps to make the bleeding easier.
I'll try that- definitely had air bubbles coming up, but that was without elevating the front. It's taking longer than a couple minutes. I let it cool off while running some errands (including getting a spare thermostat/gasket just in case, hope I can just return it when all is said & done) will take it out for another spin in a few...

· Registered
2000 Forester L
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
about that cooling problem.... yeah......

:chair:

the icon is appropriate for me being both the one being hit and the one doing the hitting...

Ummmm.... turns out the cooling system doesn't work too well when the thermostat is installed freakin' UPSIDE DOWN!!!! Who knew?? I pre-installed the thermo on the new water pump several days before engine-reassembly began, didn't have my usual perspective of laying on my back under the car...

Took it out for a great test drive a little while ago & everything seems fine now, no over heating at all, runs like a top, will even drive it to work tomorrow.

In computers we have a special code for user error- it's the eye-dee-ten-tee error code... and it definitely applies to me right now... spell it out in letters with the numeral ten as placed... yup, that's me. Sometime soon I'll post my pics of the process, and some hints I discovered along the way. But right now I want to watch a movie & forget the whole thing for awhile!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts