Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Hasn't the US Army been running KLR 650s on diesel for a long time?

I'm still weird about turbo-charged motorcycles. Would be neat to test it out though.

Stan

·
Oilfield Trash
2009 X AT
680 Posts
Several years ago Bimota had the "v-due" prototype, it was a 500 Diesel sportbike and it was GORGEOUS!.
I called the Bimota-guy in Austin, Texas (my nearest dealer) and asked him if he was taking deposits for this thing, he told me that the Feds laughed at Bimota and told them "there is NO WAY that thing will run on the American road" (it did not even come close to meeting emissions standards).

Unclviny

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Bimota V-Due was a two stroke, not a diesel, but emissions were it's reason for exclusion in America. As two strokes burn an oil/petrol mix they are much harder to keep "clean" emissions wise. The idea with the V-Due was to use direct injection to reduce emissions to the absolute minimum by having far greater control over how much oil was injected into the mix. Only problem was that Bimota were virtually bankrupt at the time, and so ended up rushing a cobbled together carburated engine to the market instead (they were already running way behing schedule). To cut a long story short, the resulting bikes never ran right and it all turned into a complete disaster. Shame really as the original bikes were an absolute masterpeice at the time, and had all sorts of leading edge technology. But as anyone that has tried to put a "masterpiece" together on a budget will tell you, lack of money to properly test/finish your baby can end up in tears or in it collecting dust in a corner of the shed.

·
Oilfield Trash
2009 X AT
680 Posts
You are right, it was a 2smoke.
I had forgotten the details (I'm old). Bimota was an odd company, some of the stuff really appealed to me and I thought some of it was ridiculous trash. I think the "all over the place" deal turned off buyers and they sure needed them.
If you are going to make "no holds barred" Italian sportbikes, you have to protect that reputation.
Italian bikes can be forgiven for design quirks IF they perform (Desmo valves are a pain but...).

Unclviny

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the best in-between right now for forester fans is the r1200gs.

Boxer = right for all subie fans
low consumption = 6l / 100km (39mpg) which is good for a 1200cc with active driving.
Offroad = perfect dual sport vehicle. Especially with gravel tires on, like TKC or K60.
Good economy = good to own and to sell
Character = strange looking beast that handles like a dream. Motor almost feels like a diesel and just gets better for each mile you drive.

The coolest thing would be if they made that into a diesel like subaru did with their gasoline boxer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not such a silly idea when you think about it. Given that the top end car manufacturers all seem to be headed down that route in both the luxury and sports segments. Diesels have come a long way in the last few years. The Europeans have been on the case for ages when it comes to continent crossing midrange saloons etc. It's just that now with technology making it's impact on creating low emission engines that are also high power we are all starting to take notice. It won't be that long surely before the likes of BMW start punting out boxer diesels to try and forge a new market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts