Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Coolant very low, make it 20 miles to dealership to buy coolant?

('14-'18) 
2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  gathermewool 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 forester. I just noticed my coolant is way below low on the plastic tank. It has maybe an inch, it's where the tanks starts to ben in at the bottom. Can I make it 20 miles (with some traffic) to the dealership in the morning? Can i add just a little of something from autozone just to make it the dealership. I hear that you should only use the super coolant from the dealership.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#5 · (Edited)
How in the hell are you guys giving the OP advice on whether he can drive safely or not!? Negligent! Anyone who tells you to drive it and then stop to cooldown, if needed, is off their rocker!

OP, when the engine is cold pop the radiator cap and see what your actual level is. If you CANNOT see any level in your radiator, call Subaru Roadside and have them tow it. This helps you in two ways.

1. No potential for damage

2. The dealer documents what you see AND will correct it on the spot, instead of taking your word for how much (or little) you had to add to fill the radiator.

Report to your dealer how much water you had to add, IF you have added any water or coolant so far. In the end, they'll likely thank you for the information and send you on your way, but now it's documented.

If the same occurs in the future or your feel like pressing the matter, have them perform a cooling system pressure test.

Reactions: ForesterBill
#9 · (Edited)
How in the hell are you guys giving the OP advice on whether he can drive safely or not!? Negligent! Anyone who tells you to drive it and then stop to cooldown, if needed, is off their rocker!

OP, when the engine is cold pop the radiator cap and see what your actual level is. If you CANNOT see any level in your radiator, call Subaru Roadside and have them tow it. This helps you in two ways.

1. No potential for damage

2. The dealer documents what you see AND will correct it on the spot, instead of taking your word for how much (or little) you had to add to fill the radiator.

Report to your dealer how much water you had to add, IF you have added any water or coolant so far. In the end, they'll likely thank you for the information and send you on your way, but now it's documented.

If the same occurs in the future or your feel like pressing the matter, have them perform a cooling system pressure test.

1). It’s unlikely it’s overheating. But if it is you can do it that way. Not ideal. But it’ll go 20 miles. Had to do it that way in rural australia - no tow trucks. Drove it 140 kms. No water to top it up. Just had to get to the next town. Made it no problems. But it’s not ideal. A 20 mile drive on low coolant is nothing.

2) I’m going to assume you don’t do a lot of rural driving. Maybe you do. But it doesn’t sound like it. But either way...

3) the ops car wasn’t running hot. I misread. My apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Just screw it on and off, COLD only.

It may not be at the very top, over-flowing, but it should be visible at or just below the filler neck.

When was the last time you checked the coolant level? The over-flow reservoir is not a sealed systems and some moisture will evaporate over time.

Reactions: ForesterBill
#8 ·
Does the coolant level in the overflow reservoir fluctuate between a hot and cold engine? If so your radiator is probably full.

I've had two Foresters and I find it necessary to top off the coolant occasionally. Instead of having your dealer's service department top it off, go to the parts counter and buy a jug of Subaru Super Coolant and top if off yourself.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.