Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,894 Posts
On my '03X & '07 FSXT, my Subaru dealership used SHELLZONE coolant. For a full coolant change out, add Subaru conditioner & Red Line Water Wetter. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Super Moderator
35,894 Posts
Just go with the Subaru stuff.
My dealership is a Subaru dealership. When I had the coolant changed on my '03 & '07, I figured I should have some of the same coolant at home. When I asked for a gallon, they gave me SHELLZONE coolant. I asked if this was what was put into my Foresters & I was told that's the "only" brand of green coolant they use. They do use Subaru conditioner & Red Line Water Wetter. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
My dealership is a Subaru dealership. When I had the coolant changed on my '03 & '07, I figured I should have some of the same coolant at home. When I asked for a gallon, they gave me SHELLZONE coolant. I asked if this was what was put into my Foresters & I was told that's the "only" brand of green coolant they use. They do use Subaru conditioner & Red Line Water Wetter. :wink:

Bobby...
I don't think thats actually a good coolant to use...
It is a low silicate coolant (at .045 percent), rather than 0 silicate, although i'm not sure how much of a difference that would make. Peak makes a 0 silicate coolant as do a number of other manufacturers, but I've never heard anyone recommend the shellzone stuff for a subaru.
The dealership should be using OEM coolant, its required for all warranty repairs and service. Does that dealership service other brands as well?

·
Super Moderator
35,894 Posts
I don't think thats actually a good coolant to use...
It is a low silicate coolant (at .045 percent), rather than 0 silicate, although i'm not sure how much of a difference that would make. Peak makes a 0 silicate coolant as do a number of other manufacturers, but I've never heard anyone recommend the shellzone stuff for a subaru.
The dealership should be using OEM coolant, its required for all warranty repairs and service. Does that dealership service other brands as well?
My dealership is Subaru only. I'll send my service advisor an e-mail. I'm curious why they use SHELLZONE green coolant instead of Subaru brand. :confused:

They use the concentrate, Silicate (as Anhydrous Alkali Metasilicate), which is 0.09%. The 50/50 premixed is 0.045% :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK, I've got a question. I read the bulletin posted by pleiad7, wish I had known this earlier.

My wife drives an 03 Outback, and we had to have the headgasket replaced. The job was done by a dealer. Since that time I've topped off her radiator with just a touch of Prestone, probably less than 1 cup total.

Should I be worried ? Should I add some extra conditioner ?

·
Super Moderator
35,894 Posts
^^ The Subaru conditioner was added (should have been) by your dealership. You don't need to add more if your coolant level is low & you're topping up.

As to worrying about the small amount of Prestone coolant that you topped up with. I wouldn't worry about it. I would get whatever coolant your dealership used for future needs. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V Cadillac
7 Posts
coolant

Hi,
I am the Technical Manager for Prestone coolants. Prestone all makes coolant is a OAT based formula just like the OE coolant. The additive is a sealant meant to prevent cooling system leaks. Prestone coolant is completely compatible with all Subaru cooling systems and has the proper corrosion inhibitors for the aluminum engine components. If you have any other cooling system or coolant questions, I am happy to answer at [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts