Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 forester gls awp
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi again all, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please help - this is the third time I've posted this question and I don't seem to be getting any answers.

where oh where oh where oh where is the bl**dy coolant temp sensor on a non turbo forester???????????????????
(and pretty pretty please make the description nice and simple - for my sanity's sake)

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
It is hidden well. Difficult to see, more difficult to find. Open your bonnet ( hood for us in the US ). Look from the front of the car, just behind the coil pack. Look down toward the engine block. You will see a crossover cast aluminium from the front side ( your left as you stand there ) to the rear right. In this crossover, mounted on the rear side, just below the coil pack rear, and under all the wires you will see the sensor horizontally mounted.

Difficult to see, more difficult to get to replace.

·
Registered
97 forester gls awp
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ferret!!

don't happen to have any pics / diagrams do you?

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Only drawing I have shows the sensor itself, Not where it's located. But it is in that crossover coolant duct. It will be the ONLY sensor in that duct.

·
Registered
97 forester gls awp
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
moxom -thanks for the link.

I'm still a bit stuck though. Ferret, above, is talking about behind the coil pack, someone else has said its on a rad hose. The diagram doesn't say where abouts in the bay its referring to.
As I understand it there are two signals in a forester that relate to coolant temp.
1 - the signal that governs fuel / air mix, open vs closed circuit operation, etc
2 - the signal that tells the engine temp gauge where to point the needle

does the same sensor provide both signals?
My wifes car seems to get up to temp (ie the temp gauge gets to the "normal" position) within about four minutes - this seems too quick compared to other cars I've known - my diesel accord can take about ten minutes.

I've checked oil for HG probs - nice clear oil, never overheats, I've marked the header tank to note whether coolant level is dropping. Car just seems to occasionally struggle when cold. Luckily cos its an auto it doesn't lurch all over the place. Her last fozzie had a knackered injector - that was easy cos it simply never fired on one cylinder - as soon as it was fixed the problem disappeared. This is awkward because its so difficult to replicate.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Here's a link so Scooby Mods ( you must register to see the pictures, but registration is free ). Peaty from here has many pictures and how to's over there. Follow the link below to the picture in post #5, then enlarge it. On your 97, his pink/purple arrow is your PCV valve, and the red arrow is an orifice in the rear block. Just to the front of the red arrow, under those hoses and wires in the crossover casting below the intake is your coolant sensor. And YES it has 2 outputs, One for the in car gauge, and one for the ECU.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/pcv_valve-t16.html?t=16&highlight=pcv+valve

BUT looking at a 2.0L European manual, the sensor may be in the front of that crossover cast pipe. Here's a picture from a 2003 2.0L manual. These are in the front just below the power steering pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 forester gls awp
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
superb pic moxom and thanks to ferret for the link. If the sensor's on the front of that crossover member (which I've finally found) is that a manifold off job?

·
Registered
2006 Forester Automatic 4 speed
56 Posts
And YES it has 2 outputs, One for the in car gauge, and one for the ECU.
Is this the same for a 2006 X EJ25na? My temperature is fine on OBD2 scan but completely dead on the gauge... maybe the obd one is working but not the gauge one?

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 Forester
2 Posts
hey there,new to the site and I know this is an old thread but checking to see if anybody is paying attention and can answer for me.
1st off i've spent 18 years in auto parts and know my way around cars but am stumped,also this is my first subaru and it's an '02 forester.

I had the engine code P0480 come up and my google research says it's the relay over 90% of the time so I replaced it and cleared the code out,well after 114 miles it came back on with the same code.so my question is before I start throwing money at false problems is what should I look at next? nothing I look at gives me a next common problem.thanks in advance!

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts