Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went out to start my Forester to help haul some oversized gifts to my sister's house and it wouldn't fire up. It'd crank just fine, but wouldn't turn over.

I finally let it crank and it eventually turned over and started up. Since that time, it's restarted every time (including this morning after it sat all night).

Doing some research online it sounds like it might be a coolant temperature sensor - or at least that's where I'm going to start if I can find one here locally. I'm at my folks' house this weekend with a nice heated garage and plenty of tools so I'd like to take care of it today if I can. When I head back home it's going to be pretty inconvenient if it strands me somewhere.

I've found some scans from the service manual, but they're not helping me locate it. One of the tutorials online for a 95 Outback looked promising, but when I looked up the sensor at Napa this morning it looks like a three prong plug (where the 95 Outback had a two prong plug) so I'm wondering if the sensor changed sometime.

Anyone have some tips on how to locate that sensor? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Here these should help.
It is located on the cast aluminum coolant cross over pipe located under the intake manifold. It has moved through out the years as to where it is on the cross over pipe(front passenger, front driver, rear passenger) but it will be on that pipe.

Courtesy of MoxoM
This too may help:

A How To: 1995 Subaru Legacy Coolant Temperature Sensor Replacement

One of the above links should help you out.

Let us know.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here these should help.
It is located on the cast aluminum coolant cross over pipe located under the intake manifold. It has moved through out the years as to where it is on the cross over pipe(front passenger, front driver, rear passenger) but it will be on that pipe.

Courtesy of MoxoM
Thanks for the help - just popped the hood and it wasn't immediately obvious, but that sensor looks like the picture on the Napa site. Looks like the easiest route is going to be to pull the intake manifold off.

I'm striking out at finding one of these today, now I just need to decide if I want to roll the dice on taking the Forester back with me to Michigan or borrow a car until next weekend when I'll be able to install it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts