Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clothes peg on the black hose (to stop escape of coolant from radiator).

Basically I want to give the inside of the reservoir bottle a wash out. Is it easy to remove from the car- clean then replace? (and refill with correct mix of water/coolant of course).

Any potential pitfalls- i.e. need to burp the car etc? Should be straight forward?

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
I removed mine a few years ago and I remember it as easy. Get a work light and poke your head in there.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any special tools needed? Should be straight forward.

Ive previously changed the engine air filter and cabin air filter myself so should be similar in technical terms?

·
Registered
2004 2.0 XT MT
67 Posts
The "special tools" I once used to rinse the inside of the reservoir on an old Volvo, were a handful of cleaned gravel. The tank was covered with residual slime, but with gravel, water, dishwashing soap and quite a bit of shaking it got impressively clean.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean tools to take the bottle off! :icon_rolleyes: :icon_biggrin:

Small adjustable spanner ok? Is it relatively easy to reach inside, undo then redo? Im guessing there is only one way into the reservoir. There isnt a bottom hole in the bottle is there? Plus there are no thermostats etc attached?

It looks like its a simple couple of screw adjusts then it lifts out/back in?

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
socket set with extension, gloves, light. I think it took me about 3 minutes to get it out. Easy. Dive in.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
mine has 2 small 10 mm head bolts at the top. the bottom has a rubber washer/grommet type part on the tank which fits into a bracket on the radiator surround if i remember correctly. there are no bolts on the bottom is the point. you just carefully lift up and wiggle after removing the bolts and it should come right out.

edit:
if it's that dirty you should get all the coolant in the system replaced too.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
I had a lot of trouble getting the inside of my overflow bottle cleaned. There was a residue buildup that didn't just 'rinse away' even with vigorous shaking. I had to use a long bottle brush. Actually, I used a 'clothes dryer lint screen holder cleaner' which is essentially the same thing. (I didn't want to use any harsh chemicals as any leftover might find its way into the engine.)

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys- possibly the easiest (yet strangely the most satisfying thing I have done yet).

A simple cocktail shake of hot water did the trick and in all it was done within 10mins max.

Next is the screenwash bottle- that does have black (mould?) flakes in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts