Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil this past weekend and while inspecting some other things, I noticed my coolant is low. The overflow tank is empty and the filler neck on the radiator is empty also. My car currently has just under 50,000 miles, and I had the coolant changed by a local dealer at just under 36,000 miles (it was left over from the 30k service items, it just took a while for me to get it done). I'm planning on running over to the dealer tomorrow to pick up a quart of coolant so I can top it up and gauge how low it is.

I'm not sure where it would have gone. The oil has always been clean, the car has never overheated, I've never smelled coolant while driving, and I didn't see any signs of leaks around the head gaskets. The only thing that I noticed was that hose clamp on the lower radiator hose was a bit corroded, but I'm not sure if there is a very minor leak there, or if it is due to New England winters with copious amounts of road salt.

I'm wondering about the conditioner additive. The write-up I have from the service lists out the coolant used, but doesn't specifically itemize the additive. There is a miscellaneous charge for 'Shop supplies' for $3.90 which seems about right for a bottle of additive. Does this make sense? As Subaru recommends the use of the additive when the coolant is changed, it doesn't make sense that the dealer skipped it.

Would there be any harm if a new bottle of conditioner was added to a system that already had it? I'm not planning on adding any, but was just curious for my own knowledge.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
Either it is using coolant, leaking or burning(HG) or the system was not fully burped when the coolant flush was done.

No harm in adding a second bottle of the conditioner.

As for the $3.90 shop supply charge. Typically shop supply charges are a percentage of your parts, labor or both parts and labor bill. It is simply a way for the shop to recoup costs of miscellaneous shop supplies like rags, degreeser, tape, zip-ties..... Consumables.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,100 Posts
You might want to check for leaks underneath around the heads and eventually to an oil analysis to rule out a Head Gasket leak. I think I would add the conditioner. Keep a close eye on the Antifreeze level.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thoughts were either a minor leak (as I noted the corroded clamp on the lower radiator hose) or that it wasn't fully burped when they filled it.

I've never noticed any coolant on the ground under the car, and I've looked over everything that I can get to. I had the under tray off when I changed the oil, and I didn't see any tell-tale signs of coolant leaks anywhere.

The warranty is up in December, so I'm going to top it up and keep an eye on it for a while, and if it drops again, then I'll look into it more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.