Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 subaru forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i got a new 2010 fxt and got 4600 miles on her. now the question is my coolant level is at low level when its cold. a guy from the dealer told me 4600 miles and you need to fill it up with coolant already??? sorry for my ignorance when it comes with car stuff. is this normal?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Coolant is part water, water evaporates. Add some distilled water to bring it up and move on, no biggie.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Check for leaks, bad hoses, cracked radiator, or bad radiator cap? My SG's coolant sits half way between low and full in the overflow. Not sure if SH is any different but I'd check for the root problem, if there is one. If no indicators of problems, just watch it to see if it gets any lower.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
The coolant low level you speak of, is this in the radiator or the expansion bottle?

If in the bottle then you should know that the level in the bottle will raise and lower depending on engine temperature.

·
Registered
2010 subaru forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you guy's :woohoo: now i know. have a great weekend to all of you.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
96 Posts
I have my coolant questions. (2009 F Premium / auto)

When I checked the coolant in the reservoir after the car has been sitting for 5 days it was below the LOW mark. I checked the owners manual on when to check the coolant (after driving or cold engine) and did not see any info. Today after driving the level is about 1/4 inch above LOW.

1. When do you check the coolant level? I always thought it was on a cold engine.
2. My Forester's reservoir level was a little below FULL (cold) when I did the oil change in June.
3. I do not see any evidence of leakage. My oil looks clean, I checked the dipstick - it is just oil showing on it. Maybe its burning it?

It looks like I am losing coolant somewhere. I think I am going to have the dealer top off the fluid and I will closely monitor it.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I checked the owners manual on when to check the coolant (after driving or cold engine) and did not see any info.
You may find this previous discussion to be useful.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts