Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I noticed my coolant is a little low on my 2005 FXT. What is a good coolant to use to top off my resovior, and does anybody know the brand of coolant that Subaru dealerships use.
Thanks

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
I just use OEM coolant but nobody really knows what the real brand is behind the OEM stuff. If you do not use OEM stuff, make sure to use something that is safe for aluminum blocks. If you're running low, make sure to check for leaks and cracks in the radiator cap seal too. Might just be evaporation, might be something more (in my case, leaking t-stat housing and bad radiator cap).

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,707 Posts
Hello,
I noticed my coolant is a little low on my 2005 FXT. What is a good coolant to use to top off my resovior, and does anybody know the brand of coolant that Subaru dealerships use.
Thanks
My Subaru dealership uses SHELLZONE coolant, which was a surprise to me. I figured it would be magic Subaru coolant. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,698 Posts
I'm also interested in what kind of coolant to top off the factory fill on my 2010. Overflow bottle doesn't look like blue coolant. Looks brown.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,707 Posts
When I had the coolant changed at my dealership, I figured I'd buy a gallon to have at home. I was surprised it wasn't Subaru branded coolant! :confused:

I'd suggest checking with your dealership to see what coolant they use & get the same. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,698 Posts

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Would it be brown because some tech decided to take a shortcut and use green coolant with blue coolant?

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
Massive debate on best coolant. Subies use aluminum blocks and heads. Japanese (incl. Subaru), unlike Euro manufacturers, like phosphate based coolants.

Other web pages say that OAT based coolants are best for aluminum engines.

We really need to look into this better.

Then there is the issue of the Subaru cooling additive and conditioner. Subaru factory recommends using this stuff. However, the local Subie mechanics including those who work at the dealers say heyll NO! Turns out the Subie conditioner is a mix of real deal conditioner, plus a butt load of stop-leak. Why the load of stop leak? Head gasket issues, band aid. Problem is all that stop leak clogs the heater core and radiator. Local guys who actually work on Subies do NOT use it. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts
Tremo;690341 Head gasket issues said:
Subaru Of America endorses it. That's good enough for me. The stuff is more of a preventative than a band aid. I think it makes sense. Subaru has 2 HG's and HGs on any car can leak. What's the problem.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,698 Posts
Only 5MT available.

On the subject of factory delivered cars with stop leak in them... I believe GM was doing this too. Had some "Bars Leak" in with the coolant ...just in case.
I've used Bars Leak on a 95 T-bird with chain driven OHC V-8 that would emit steam from tailpipe after warmed up. Worked. Head off that thing would've been $2500 and car only worth $1500. Finally donated it to The Salvation Army to be able to park new Subie in carport. Motor still ran good.. rest of car absolutely falling apart.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
Subaru Of America endorses it. That's good enough for me. The stuff is more of a preventative than a band aid. I think it makes sense. Subaru has 2 HG's and HGs on any car can leak. What's the problem.
2 HGs, BFD. My old IROC has 2 HGs as well and it doesn't leak a drop. If it clogs the heater and radiator, that's a problem.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts
2 HGs, BFD. My old IROC has 2 HGs as well and it doesn't leak a drop. If it clogs the heater and radiator, that's a problem.

Then don't use it. Its a free country.....
I have it in there for 2 years and even put it in my 01 Nissan Sentra which has no history of HG leaks.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
My mistake.....it's blue.....
near the low mark when cold..... just thought I'd touch it up a couple of ounces.
Samehere. Its dropped in the last 7,000 miles from the top line.

How do you apply? Stick it into the reservoir?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts