Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 sp MT
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have an 04XT, ive got a decent coolant leak coming from the turbo area i cant seem to find the leak but it smokes quite a bit everyonce in a while!

now, ill be fixing the leak soon enough along with a flush(with proper subaru cooolant and conditioner) and tbelt change.

my question is can i top up the coolant with prestone coolant in the meantime? i understand subaru recomends no phosphsate, no silcate no blah blah...but just a a top up would it be ok? (top up maybe like a liter max?)

what are the consequences of running with some of the above elements????

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,921 Posts
Many will disagree but as long as its not Dex Type its OK short term (IMHO)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Are you set on Prestone? If in doubt, Peak Global is widely considered near identical to the green Subaru coolant. Have a look here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/engine-coolant-112927/

Subaru specifies a non-silicate, non-phosphate and non-amine antifreeze. They also refuse to tell anyone which brands meet their specifications.

By law, Subaru cannot mandate Subaru coolant unless they provided it for free.

I spoke with a chemical engineer at the company that manufactrurers Peak Coolant last week for 40 minutes. Here's what I found out:

Peak Global is 100% phosphate and silicate free.

Virtually ALL coolants manufactured for the past few DECADES are non-amine. Therefore, nobody lists non-amine on their coolant bottles.

The ingredients in Subaru and Peak Global are identical except for minor differences in the anti-corrosion package.

The company that makes the anti-corrosion package for Subaru coolant also supplies Peak. That company has told Peak Subaru's anti-corrosion package is 100% compatible with Peak's. they are virtually interchangable.

In a brilliant marketing move, Subaru has managed to skirt the Magnusson Moss Act but telling us to only use a "non-amine" coolant. Since nobody's made a non-amine coolant for years, we're running around looking for coolant that doesn't have something that isn't around anymore.

It's like your doctor telling you it's OK to drink cola, but make sure the label says cocaine-free. How long has it been since Coca-Cola's ingredients included cocaine?

By the way, the guys at Peak are very familiar with Subaru, Subaru coolant and Subaru coolant additive.

As far as I'm concerned, Peak Global Coolant is the equivalent of Subaru coolant.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 sp MT
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks! nah its just that i have a jug in my garage already. im picking up some oem stuff tomorrow! thanks guys this was very insightful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts