Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a issue were my coolant overflow bottle is filling all the way up and spilling out ever since i went with my fmic and cant figure it out. The fmic comes with a new small over flow bottle to replace the old one but i read that it was not optimal so i relocated my oem to the other side of the radiator. I originally just flipped the hard line to work with it but have since then custome made new lines to replicate the exact order of the original lines.

It only happens when i am really seeing high boost levels like when i am tuning the car and it see's 26 psi on my 20g. It does not happen at the track really since it does not peak as high starting off in 1st gear and it does not happen all the time. I was just road tuning and doing some highway pulls today and it happened again and scared the **** out of me. After a pull i looked behind me there was a puff of steam so i stayed of it thinking i blew a ringland. When i stopped i seen that my overflow was full and the top blew off and coolant was every were. We came to the conclusion that coolant got on the exhaust and what we seen was just it buring off the outside of it.

There was zero knock and my oil level is perfect with no coolant in it. On my ride home i seen zero smoke or steam out of the exhaust. Not sure if its the heads lifting and causing air in the coolant system or if my stock radiator caps are not holding causing it to bleed off to quickly? What do you all think should i go with sti radiator caps or should i be thinking about some arp studs and new gaskets? I also dont know were its bleeding from the radiator or the tank by the turbo. The radiator looks to be a 1.4 bar and the upper tank is a 1.1 bar.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Sounds suspiciously like a head gasket problem, yes.

·
Registered
2007 FXT Limited 5MT
2,815 Posts
Sounds like you are lifting the heads under high boost and pushing coolant. my tuners car was having the same problem around 28psi and up. ended up getting some new studs and gaskets. check nasioc for this issue it's somewhat common

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah this is what i figured i was just hoping for the best.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any way to check for head gasket or lifting problems even though it only does it at heavy boost levels? Would there still be hydrocarbins in the coolant even though it does not leak all the time?

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
tee a pressure gauge in and see when it builds pressure.

·
Registered
2007 FXT Limited 5MT
2,815 Posts
tee a pressure gauge in and see when it builds pressure.
this would really be your only option. if you don't feel like pulling the heads off right now just turn the boost down a little lol. i don't think the routing of the lines will really have any affect.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5MT
230 Posts
I am having a issue were my coolant overflow bottle is filling all the way up and spilling out ever since i went with my fmic and cant figure it out. The fmic comes with a new small over flow bottle to replace the old one but i read that it was not optimal so i relocated my oem to the other side of the radiator. I originally just flipped the hard line to work with it but have since then custome made new lines to replicate the exact order of the original lines.

It only happens when i am really seeing high boost levels like when i am tuning the car and it see's 26 psi on my 20g. It does not happen at the track really since it does not peak as high starting off in 1st gear and it does not happen all the time. I was just road tuning and doing some highway pulls today and it happened again and scared the **** out of me. After a pull i looked behind me there was a puff of steam so i stayed of it thinking i blew a ringland. When i stopped i seen that my overflow was full and the top blew off and coolant was every were. We came to the conclusion that coolant got on the exhaust and what we seen was just it buring off the outside of it.

There was zero knock and my oil level is perfect with no coolant in it. On my ride home i seen zero smoke or steam out of the exhaust. Not sure if its the heads lifting and causing air in the coolant system or if my stock radiator caps are not holding causing it to bleed off to quickly? What do you all think should i go with sti radiator caps or should i be thinking about some arp studs and new gaskets? I also dont know were its bleeding from the radiator or the tank by the turbo. The radiator looks to be a 1.4 bar and the upper tank is a 1.1 bar.
My issue was a Moroso expansion tank with a leaky tank.
Check out YouTube psteele9000 for Moroso cap leak.

I bent the tabs and fixed it, after losing a half gallon of coolant.

P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts