Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently did my timing belt and water pump and everything was bone dry.

As soon as the TB job was done I smelled coolant, and looked around assuming when I'd removed my radiator to maximize my working room for the belt change, some coolant had leaked and was evaporating.

But now I see a slight amount after about 1500mi in the depression in the engine case inboard of the head right behind the A/C compressor. It's not much (perhaps a teaspoon or less). It took only 2-3oz of coolant added to the reservoir to bring it to normal after 1500mi following belt T Belt and WP replacement (and maybe most of that was taken up as the system purged any trapped air after re-assembly).

It is right below a small diameter metal heater that runs under the A/C compressor aft to the rubber heater hoses.

The head gaskets were done w/ MLS Subi gaskets by the dealer a while back and don't appear to be leaking.

Anyone have a similar "leak" or accumulation?

The photo in the link show the rear A/C mounting bolt at the bottom and is looking back.
The yellow arrow points to the case depression w/ some liquid in it.
https://www.screencast.com/t/FUaqbtp61F

Bob

·
Registered
982 Posts
Since you are in an older forester, and mentioned coolant: obligatory mention that the plastic OEM radiators are known to crack and fail after 100k miles. If you are still on the original, replacing it might be a good move. Not saying this is the source of your leak, just a common issue with older fozzies.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No argument, since I am driving an old car, as you point out, but I also agree in this case at least the radiator is not the culprit given the coolant I found is at least a foot behind the radiator. So far, the seam between the plastic end caps and the aluminum is deposit-free, indicating no leakage at the gasket yet. I have the records on the car going back 120,000mi from here so I will check if it's the original radiator. The plastic is still shiny with stickers intact, so hopefully it has already been done by a PO.

But with any old car, one could start replacing things because they are old, and never run out of things to replace, and still have other failures occur, so I think I will just wait until it fails before changing it since it's so easy to access (unlike a water pump or TB bearings which I routinely replace, though many people do not). I am hearing a bit more "road noise" at the rear of the car these days, so probably the next project will be wheel bearings. Turning sharply left of right does not change the sound, so maybe it IS just road noise, but 200k would not be unreasonable for bearings..

Bob

·
Registered
982 Posts
I will just wait until it fails before changing it since it's so easy to access.
Suit yourself ... when mine failed I was driving on the highway, and all the coolant leaked out causing the engine to overheat, and ultimately resulted in having to replace the engine. The gauge cluster on SG foresters does not exactly light up like a Christmas tree when the car overheats, and if you don't notice it soon enough your motor will be toast. This is a critical component that is known to fail.

Hopefully it was refreshed by a prior owner.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads-up.

There is a light for the Trans Temp, but none for the coolant, which is probably a more common occurrence and could benefit from one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts