Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2017 Subaru Forester. I saw my coolant was really low so I went to the local store and bought some pre-mixed coolant (Zecol Multi-max 50/50 pre-diluted), only to find out later that Subaru has their own super coolant (blue color) I believe mine was green/yellow. Should I be worried about mixing the two? Should I go and get a coolant flush and re-fill with just Subaru super coolant again? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,201 Posts
No. The original coolant just won't be good for 100K miles + or whatever=who cares.
Welcome from PA!

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,151 Posts
Worried? No.

But, like adc says above, your cooling system will no longer go for 100k miles between coolant changes. You'll have to change it more often from now on. Like every 30k or however long is usually recommended for 'normal' coolant.

You may be able to go back to the 100k coolant with a really good flush. But I've read rumors that once traditional coolant is in the system, it's effectively ended the 'long life' part no matter what since you can never get all of the coolant out in a flush. Sorry, I can't confirm either way.

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
102 Posts
I'd be more concerned about why a 2017 was really low. I've only added coolant to my 2011 one time and that was only in the overflow bottle and not the radiator.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,151 Posts
I'd be more concerned about why a 2017 was really low. I've only added coolant to my 2011 one time and that was only in the overflow bottle and not the radiator.
In my experience of two brand new FB25 engines, they were both low from the factory. I guess it depends on what the OP means by 'really low'.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,201 Posts
Evaporation

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,042 Posts
What are you guys basing your decision that this stuff is compatible on?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,201 Posts

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
713 Posts
What are you guys basing your decision that this stuff is compatible on?
I have the same concern as Gather.
I'd drop by your dealership and ask one of the older service writers in person.
I always end up with more confidence after talking face to face.

I've been told the Honda blue coolant is incompatible with the green.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Automatic
4 Posts
No. The original coolant just won't be good for 100K miles + or whatever=who cares.
Welcome from PA!
Hey now. Did you answer No to both of the questions he asked. So don't mix them and drain and refill?

Let us know

1 - 10 of 10 Posts