Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any surprises i should be aware of before tackling replacing the gasket. figured i'd replace the thermostat while i was there since i'm over 106k.

buddy from nasioc said all i need to get to it was to remove the "splash shield, lower radiator hose and two 10mm bolts."

that easy?

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
243 Posts
keep the radaitor hose on.
also make sure the pump isnt leaking itself.the weep hole is just above and behind.
makes it look like the stat is leaking

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
have you a pan under there b/c even when you drain the coolant at the rad, the thermostat still holds some above it and there is a little extra in the lower rad hose itself too.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Obviously drain the coolant, this is probably the lowest point on the motor.

Refill with Subaru coolant and Distilled water. Don't forget the coolant sealer.

Only use a Subaru thermostat. OEM's have shorted springs and do not sit as deep in the coolant jacket. They ofter cause intermittent overheating problems. A search here and about any Subaru board will show the same.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
good writeup. the only thing i do different is not put the car on ramps and actually drain on a slight incline with the front of the car down. i haven't tried it both ways, but i think it might drain the heater core and block a little better?

you could always fill it half full and then quickly pull up on ramps to keep from trapping air when filling completely. what works for me is just leaving the flushing tee cap off until coolant appears, then capping quickly and continue filling. i'm guessing i have it parked at 10-15 degree downhill angle when i have done this before.

the antifreeze concentration comes out good if you flush with water, drain everything out (i even remove lower rad hose at t-stat housing again to get a little extra out), and then add back full strength subaru coolant. 4 quarts subaru coolant + ~2 qts retained water in system = 66% concentration, not bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts