Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be dropping a new engine in the BattleWagon within the next week, and am wondering, should I add the conditioner to a brand new (remfg) engine? Or should I wait a while?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
I think it depends on 2 things:

1) Did you use it the last time you changed your coolant?

2) How long has it been since said coolant change?

If you used it recently, I would definitely not use it again just yet. The stuff turns into a tar like goo that sticks to everything. I used it every time I changed my coolant, which I changed about once a year. I know this is more than the manual specifies, which is what I believe led to my first radiator popping at around 70,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,487 Posts
I would use it. I have used it in multiple cars and personally have not seen any goo. But that's just me.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,796 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Yes, do add coolant conditioner. At the very least, it will not hurt, if used in moderation.

P.S. You (i.e., everyone with 99-03 SHOC engine) should to add that stuff every time you change/flush coolant.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Shake it up well so you break up the clumps and pour it in slowly while the coolant is cycling.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mmkay. I bought it when I bought the coolant earlier today (the real Subaru green stuff... no expenses spared in this operation... lol) just in case.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Hey bud, I'd flush out the radiator and heater real well and use it.
-Tom

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
^Yeah might be a good idea since the Subie dealer techs tell me the conditioner can block coolant passages sometimes. They also class it with snake oil :lol: But it's ultimately up to you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
YES! Use it.....

It may just save your donkey....:icon_biggrin:

I do flush and fills every 2 years and use it. All stories about clogging arteries aside :icon_wink:, why wouldn't you if the factory does?

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'm thinking... flush the radiator and heater cores, and use it. I change the coolant every 30k miles (every year for me) which involves a passive flush (just a fresh water fill and drive for 15 miles) and then refilling with distilled, Subbie green coolant, and conditioner. Just didn't know the protocol for a new engine. :smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts