Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am going to change the coolant. I know that I need to buy silicate and phosphate free coolant, but where can I get Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner or an equivilent product?

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing. How much coolant/water mix should i put in it?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Don't bother with the cooling system conditioner unless you have the 2.5 nonturbo motor, its -just- a stop leak product used as a bandaid fix for the headgasket issues. It likely won't have any negative impact, but won't really provide any benefit either (imho).

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
292 Posts
I was thinking of using Toyota Red Coolant that I used to use on my AE86. I don't have a Subaru Dealership close to me so its an alternative. Its silicate and phosphate free plus its red and you can see the coolant level easier. If it has to be pre-mixed they also sell Toyota Pink .. LOL

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
I was thinking of using Toyota Red Coolant that I used to use on my AE86. I don't have a Subaru Dealership close to me so its an alternative. Its silicate and phosphate free plus its red and you can see the coolant level easier. If it has to be pre-mixed they also sell Toyota Pink .. LOL
It takes quite a few coolant flushes to get the pink colour that you want.

it looks nice and clean to start with but then mixes with the original blue (or green) that is left in the block and turns a rusty brown colour.

so if youre gonna change to pink coolant make sure you flush it really well

Frazer

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
292 Posts
I usually run distilled water and Preston radiator flush on the first drain and fill.
Then drive around the block to get the thermostat to open.
Then drain & fill with more disstilled water 3 or 4 times until I get all of the old coolant and radiator flush out.

That usually worked for my Corolla. Does the Forester have issues of getting air pockets in the motor. I know on my old car we usually fill the car on a angled driveway or lift the front at about 40 deg. to get the air out ?

Also for those planing on replacing the fluid you might as well replace the thermostat and hoses at the same time while the radiator is drained. Do they make Samco Radiator hoses for the 04 FXT ?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
78 Posts
I use Chevron extended life, its cheaper than the subie brand and is tinted red as well. Brown viscuos sludge can form from mixing two different types of coolant, so I would be sure to drain the coolant as well as you can. If you buy the concentrate stuff be sure to use a distilled water to mix it, I just buy it pre-mixed though. 50/50

1 - 8 of 8 Posts