Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.5XS 4EAT
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a set of lightly used 2009 WRX tires; Dunlop SP Sport 01 225/45/R17 Summer tires.

I am currently running 2008 WRX tires; Bridgestone Potenza RE92a 205/50R17 All seasons. They have about 1/8th" of tread in the middle (or 1/16th above the treadwear indicator bars), and barely 1/16th of an inch on the edges.

I'm really itching to put these on, they'll be my year - round tires here in Cali, and they're 20mm fatter than what I have now. Would it be wiser to wait and wear away another 1/16th of an inch and make these tires really bald, or just go for it and enjoy it? :)

Also, Do I over - inflat my tires or just really enjoy throwing the car into turns? :D

·
Registered
2004 2.5XS 4EAT
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running swifts so I'm down an inch to start, 2" overall,not as bad. These '09 tires aren't going to change my current ride height at all.

·
Registered
2004 2.5XS 4EAT
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've had the 08 wrx tires on for 25K miles, so the gap isn't anything new to me..

I'm slightly concerned I may need 3mm spacer in the back, these rims ar 55mm offest, not much room in the back.

·
Registered
2004 2.5XS 4EAT
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well compared to those all-seasons, these are a summer tire, and an extra 20mm wider. I notice they're quieter and hard corning is through the roof. It kinda exemplifies the fact that my struts are almost 100K mi old. Pics to follow.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Also, Do I over - inflat my tires or just really enjoy throwing the car into turns? :D
Mine wear like that too, if anything I may under-inflate them a bit. What was your air pressure cold?

I know everyone always says there is no snow in San Francisco, which is true. But, there is actually alot of snow in California. I save my stockers with Geolanders for the snow.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 2.5XS 4EAT
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha yeah drove out in August, My [now] fionce is going to med school a bit north of SF. Stopped by the Salt Flats too! And even if there isn't much snow, Lake Tahoe is only 3hrs from me, and I wish I had my snow tires!

Cold pressure is 40 PSI.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
You should come out to one of our next Bay Area gatherings. We'll show you the roads less traveled... :wink:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
144 Posts

Overinflating makes the middle of the tread wear faster. It's underinflating that creates more wear on the outside edges.

Enjoy your new tires,
Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts