Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...I am new to this forum, but I have a question. I wanting to find out info on converting my 2010 N/A Forester to a turbo with an aftermarket kit.

The kit I have found looms fairly easy, but I am wondering if anyone has done this conversion. I want I make sure I fully understand all that is involved.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

F

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Memphis TN!

The overall thinking is that it is impractical to turbo the N/A motors. Due to the weaker open-deck design of the N/A motor and higher compression from the get-go, you can't run much boost, think <10psi for the safety of your motor. Boosted open-deck EJ25 motors like to pop the cylinder walls. You might get 225whp out of a boosted N/A Forester, which is good, but if you were modding the semi-closed deck XT motor instead, 225whp is just the first rung on the power ladder. There are people here putting out 300+whp on the XT motor.

The overall thinking is that it is more economical and easier to sell your N/A Forester and buy an XT instead, or even swap in a turbo motor. If you're into a big challenge, have a go at it, but it most likely won't make much financial sense.

Forum member 2.5x_sleeper has done an AVO turbo kit on his '03 Forester. Here is the link for the beginning of the AVO turbo kit write-up in his member journal: AVO Turbo Kit - Part 1 - Why you shouldn't do this!

Also, read this thread, there's some good info from flstffxe on the N/A motor versus the XT motor: Turboing a non turbo ej25

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. May not tackle this challenge. I am looking for a way to get some more power our of my engine...the stock just doesn't seem to have enough umph. Any ideas besides a swap for a turbo?

·
Premium Member
13,149 Posts
Thanks for the info. May not tackle this challenge. I am looking for a way to get some more power our of my engine...the stock just doesn't seem to have enough umph. Any ideas besides a swap for a turbo?
You are not gonna improve the NA noticably no matter what you do. Save up and get the XT

F

·
0 Posts
If you want a noticeable difference from the N/A motor, get your cams reground, forum member here, "BigBill", had cam grinds done to his DOHC N/A motor and said it made a pretty noticeable difference.

But even with thousands of $$$ into mods (high comp pistons, race cams, nawss, etc.) on the N/A motor, you're only going to be making around stock XT power, and you'll have an unreliable motor that sucks down premium fuel.

Even after a CAI and freer flowing exhaust on my N/A motor, there's really no difference in power. Maybe a little more power after 4500 RPM, but who goes up that high on a daily driver?? There is a huge difference in sound though, and it makes me feel faster. :biggrin: Ricer at heart. :bling:

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you want a noticeable difference from the N/A motor, get your cams reground, forum member here, "BigBill", had cam grinds done to his DOHC N/A motor and said it made a pretty noticeable difference.
I want to say that the 2010 NA is a SOHC anyway, but don't quote me on that. I'm just thinking that getting the cam reground in your car isn't going to make any noticeable difference. May be best to just buy an XT or find a dead 2008+ WRX and do a swap. Either way, it isn't cheap, but buying an XT is easier. :icon_biggrin:

F

·
0 Posts
^^^ If its the EJ25, the N/A EJ25 is SOHC. They switched to the FB motors in MY11 Foresters right?

·
Registered
755 Posts
mines a sohc NA motor, but i think the 2010's were still on the ej25 if im not mistaken? Ive done the delta 1000 grinds (their lowest offering, but focuses on torque), full headerback exhaust and a drop in K&N. While definately noticeable power over stock, especially in the 1-3k rpm range where the cams do the most, a stock xt would prolly still be faster after getting out of the cams effective rpms.

You can get their higher offerings, like the 2000 grinds, a lot of rs guys seem to like those but it seems like to have to wind it out to get full use of them. So 4eats prolly wouldnt have as much fun as a manual car would with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts