Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been watching this series on SPEED the last couple rounds now, and this car is running quite well. The car is built by Phoenix Performance out of Pennsylvania, and replaces the ST-class Legacy Spec.B that they ran in 2009... which was a two car team in 2008.

Well I was watching the race from Barber Motorsports Park earlier this afternoon, and Andrew Aquilante had an awesome save in the dying laps of the race. The incident happens at 1:58 in this video...
YouTube - Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge

there is some more info on the team on their various websites:

Subaru Road Racing Team | Homepage
Phoenix Performance Inc

TopSpeed said:

The Japanese all wheel drive automaker Subaru unveiled the latest addition to the Subaru Road Racing Team this past weekend with their entry in the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge series at the Daytona Speedway as a precursor to the acclaimed Rolex 24 hour race at Daytona. The race ready Subaru Impreza WRX STI is a wide body version of the standard five door STI powered by a boosted flat four and features a driver selectable power train and dynamic handling controls to ensure world class performance for the Japanese sport compact.

The SRRT STI-R is motivated by a high output version of Subaru’s 2.5 Liter turbocharged and intercooled four cylinder Boxer engine that produces a maximum output of 305 HP and is mated to a six speed manual transmission that features Subaru’s advanced Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) version of Subaru Symmetrical All Wheel Drive that allows the torque to be manually split between the front and rear axle. The SRRT Impreza WRX STI also features a lightweight suspension made up of lots of aluminum pieces to ensure that the road racing STI is light on its feet with as little unsprung mass as possible and a Brembo Performance Brake System to ensure that their drivers don’t encounter brake fade no matter how many times they run deep into the turns.

Subaru of America, Inc. opened the 2010 road race season today with a strong 15th place finish out of 41 entries in the Grand Sport class of the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge series at the Daytona Raceway. The Subaru Road Racing Team (SRRT) is fielding two Impreza WRX STI racecars in the series this year. SRRT campaigned a single Subaru Legacy 2.5GT spec.B in the series’ Street Tuner class in 2009, taking second in both the Drivers’ and Team Championships, along with 3rd in the Manufacturer chase.

Four-time Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Touring 1 Northeast Champion Andrew Aquilante, from Chester Springs, Penn., will lead the Subaru road racing effort for 2010. He is in his third year driving for Subaru. Aquilante achieved nine top-ten finishes to complete 2009 tied for 2nd in the Drivers’ Championship. Bret Spaude of St. Petersburg, Fla. has joined SRRT as Aquilante’s teammate. Spaude finished 2009 seventh in points in the Grand Am ST class and is a two-time SCCA Regional title holder. Each driver is seeking his first Grand-Am win.

The 2010 Impreza WRX STI is the ultimate-performance Subaru, powered by a 305-horsepower turbocharged/intercooled Boxer engine and featuring driver-selectable powertrain and dynamic handling controls for world-class sports car performance. The WRX STI is built exclusively as an aggressively styled, wide-fender 5-door model with a design strongly influenced by the brand’s competition heritage. Its drivetrain, which is exclusive to the WRX STI model, combines a six-speed manual transmission with the advanced Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) version of Subaru Symmetrical All Wheel Drive. High-performance chassis elements include aluminum suspension components and a Brembo® Performance Brake System.

Since 2009, the SRRT has been managed by SRRT Phoenix, LLC, through Joe Aquilante from Phoenix Performance, Inc. in Phoenixville, Penn. The senior Aquilante is a multiple race and title-winner in various series across different classes.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2010 Race Results

Round 1 - Daytona
Start - 40
Finish - 15

Round 2 - Homestead
Start - 15
Finish - 29 (-17 laps) overall 52

Round 3 - Barber
Start - 12
Finish - 9

Round 4 - Virginia
Start - 14
Finish - 26 (-37 laps) overall 50

Round 5 - Lime Rock
Start - 11
Finish - 5

Round 6 - Watkins Glen
Start - 32
Finish - 32 (-58 laps) overall 69

Round 7 - Mid-Ohio
Start - 15
Finish - 13

Round 8 - New Jersey
Start - 25
Finish - 10

Round 9 - Trois-Rivières
Start - 12
Finish - 16

Round 10 - Miller
Start - 11
Finish - 25 (-35 laps) overall 46

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well the event at Virginia International Raceway wasn't exactly a good one...
They came home 26th in GS and 50th overall after starting 14th. Things went south on them after being hit by another car, later resulting in a burnt out rear-diff causing them not to finish...
More information can be found here: http://subaruroadracingteam.com/press_release_vir.htm

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
sweet pics! and that vid was great w/ the sti hopping across the grass and then making it back on track w/out breaking a sweat!

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fell behind with my updates but here is the info I got off the Grand Am and SRRT websites.

Round 5 at Limerock ended up being their best race of the season so far with a 5th place finish overall.

Round 6 at Watkins Glen was a different story. They started from 32 position and finished last in the GS class 58 laps behind the leader. I am unsure of what happened that caused the poor finish, but it airs on SPEED this Sunday if anybody wants to watch and find out. I'll be at WBM so I'll have to miss it much like I did with the Limerock race. :frown:

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice shots, sucks they cant snag a podium or even come close....
well their 5th place finish at Lime Rock was the closest they've gotten so far.
I remember a few years back with the Legacy Spec.B they ran. It dominated the ST class, so Grand Am made sure to group the STi in the GS class.
They run against M3's, 911's, and some tough-to-beat Mustangs.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, delayed update... so it's a bigger one.

Round 8 at New Jersey Motorsports Park was another top-10 finish for the Subaru Road Racing Team who started the race in 25th.

Round 9 in Trois Rivières was a different story...
The team started off the day from a respectable 12th position and lost ground over the day to wind up finishing 16th. It was a tough day for them on the daunting French street circuit, where the car didn't return home in one piece...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts