Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am looking at tires for my 18's and am considering summers for the first time. I've used UHP all seasons in the past.

I'm leaning towards the these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eModel=ExtremeContact+DW&partnum=445YR8ECDWXL

Mostly because of weight and price. These are by far the lightest tire. I expect a squishier sidewall because of it and less sharp steering response, but I think I'm ok with that as long as it has similar ultimate cornering grip. I know the SH is never gonna be as flickable as the SG no matter what I do.

Other planned suspension mods are whiteline 20mm rear bar with braces, kartboy endlinks (all sitting in garage) and pedders springs (haven't bought these yet).

Anyone have experience with these tires? Better still, on an SH?

·
Premium Member
2005 xt 6mt
126 Posts
I have them on my SG,
they are also my first summer tires, definitely squishy sidewalls,
I've had them about 10,000 miles and the tread wear seems really good,
I haven't had them in the rain much
wish I could be more help,
hope you get some SH experience

aaron

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
The only complaints I have read about them are the "soft" sidewalls, mostly from those coming from rock-hard max performance summer or RF tires. They are reported to have plenty of "ultimate traction" though, even on wet surfaces. Some claim excessive tread noise as they age (which is true for all tires), and short tread life (UTQG of 340). They remain on my short list too by virtue of their light weight (22 lbs.), good traction and comfortable ride (those "soft" sidewalls can be a virtue).

In 225/50-17 I am also looking at the GY Eagle F1 Asymmetric A/S (UTQG 500, 23 lbs.), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (UTQG 500, 25 lbs.) and Nokian zLine max performance summer tire (UTQG 300, 23 lbs.).

In 215/55-17 I am looking at the GY Eagle Sport A/S (UTQG 560, 24 lbs.), Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 (UTQG 400, 22 lbs.) and the Nokian zLine (23 lbs.).

I'm setting 25 pounds as the max weight on the next set of tires, 22 or 23 pounds would be ideal. A UTQG rating of 400 or higher would be nice too so I can get three seasons out of them.

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
Continental...

The kings of "cushy ride"* no matter how fast you want to hang 10 on an entrance ramp.

I put the Continental ContiCrossContact on my GFs Mercury Mountaineer.

*Why else do you think they are standard equipment on the Merc AMG and BMW M?

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
This tire would be great if your suspension have decent damping and stiffness. I think this tire would be dreadful on stock suspension.

Tire are integral part of your suspension system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts