Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just released.... don’t have specifics yet. Here’s excerpt:

By comparison, Subaru has soared to the top of the latest car brand rankings. The Japanese brand climbed six places to become number one in the eyes of Consumer Reports, just ahead of Genesis, Porsche, Audi and Lexus.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,819 Posts
Rankings here:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/21/tes...-consumer-reports-new-reliability-survey.html

Excerpt: Subaru has soared to the top of the latest car brand rankings. The Japanese brand climbed six places to become number one in the eyes of Consumer Reports, just ahead of Genesis, Porsche, Audi and Lexus. "Subaru does almost everything really well," said Fisher. "They make an enjoyable car to drive and great reliability too."

·
Registered
2003 Forester X manual
1,275 Posts
CR subscriber here. I never see anything but positives about Subaru and/or the Forester just about in every edition there seems to be a list or a mention!!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Keep in mind...CR has not yet completed testing of the redesigned 2019 RAV4 which could potentially knock the Forester out of the top spot.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts
Only thing I question on Consumer Reports rating was on the Ascent where after only being out approximately 6 months when they did their ratings they gave it above average reliability. There was not a lot sold in that time or a lot of miles on the vehicle. I have read on Edmunds of problems with the CVT on the owner reviews and on the Ascent forum there seems to be issues with the CVT, brakes, etc. Plus a article where the dealers were concern with the Outback coming out it having issues as the Ascent.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/will-customers-have-quality-issues-new-2020-subaru-outback-ascent

I thought that Consumer Reports should of given the Ascent it road score but left reliability off until there were more time data. Because a lot of people buy on their advice.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Only thing I question on Consumer Reports rating was on the Ascent where after only being out approximately 6 months when they did their ratings they gave it above average reliability. There was not a lot sold in that time or a lot of miles on the vehicle. I have read on Edmunds of problems with the CVT on the owner reviews and on the Ascent forum there seems to be issues with the CVT, brakes, etc. Plus a article where the dealers were concern with the Outback coming out it having issues as the Ascent.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/will-customers-have-quality-issues-new-2020-subaru-outback-ascent

I thought that Consumer Reports should of given the Ascent it road score but left reliability off until there were more time data. Because a lot of people buy on their advice.
Here's how CR explains reliability ratings for new vehicles:
"We also we include a prediction for a model that has been redesigned or is new, based on its reliability history, the manufacturer's track record, and our expert knowledge of similar models and/or one that share components."

I suspect that Subaru's global platform came into play with the Ascent recommendation.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts
Since it is all new engine and transmission I do not know how they can arrive at the same conclusion. If it is based on the track record of the manufacturer I wonder why they only recommend the Crosstrek 2016-2018 as a used vehicle and no other Subaru.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,394 Posts
I’ve wondered for years how CR reads the tea leaves to predict future reliability. I understand how they say they arrive at their conclusions, but what they predict, and how they say they arrive at those predictions don’t always seem to make a lot of sense to me.

Still, as far as resources go, CR is probably one of the best sources to use, if for no other reason than they have such a large member database to draw responses from. I wouldn’t attempt to argue how reliable their statistics are, tho..

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
137 Posts
The reliability charts in Consumer Reports are "heat maps" that show the relative frequency of problems reported by owners in their annual surveys of subscribers. So when you're looking back, that's just the data, not a CR interpretation. Looking forward, I think they take into account the vehicle and brand history. And if it's an all new car, they may put bigger "error bars" on predictions. Fully redesigned vehicles sometimes have big problems in their first year or two that are ironed out later in the development cycle. On the other hand, a full redesign or all-new model can represent a fresh approach that allows a maker to escape past problems.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X manual
1,275 Posts
just got the April issue and talk about singing the praises of Subaru!!! Wow! Loved the Ascent, loved the new Forester and Subaru now at the top of the car rankings for dependability and customer satisfaction. Well done Subaru!

·
Registered
2019 Premium CVT
74 Posts
Only thing I question on Consumer Reports rating was on the Ascent where after only being out approximately 6 months when they did their ratings they gave it above average reliability.
Consumer Reports scores on 'Predicted Reliability.'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts