Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I've driven and owned everything from Chevy, VW, AUDI, BMW, MAZDA.

Currently my wife and I are looking for something hyper-safe, AWD, good highway mpg for a reasonable price and Subaru obviously is top of the list.

We recently have been searching around for used Foresters (mostly 2009 CPO'd). I've test driven a 2007 LL bean, a 2009 Limited and 2010. I noticed on both the 2007 and 2009 there was a tremendous amount of travel on the brake pedal. I actually told the dealer I thought the 2007 was absolutely undrivable and dangerous and he should have his mechanics look at it immediately. Well the dealer called me back 2 days later and left a message that their mechanics say thats just the way "those foresters" are?

really!? what is the deal with the brakes on these cars? Is all this travel and sponginess expected and acceptable?

My 2009 Mazdaspeed3 and my wife's current 2000 Lexus Rx300 have beautiful high pedals that ride high and stop well- my point is I'm not comparing to bmw, vw or audi.

I tried searching around before posting but there was only one or two posts regarding this I didn't find comprehensive.

Should I avoid Subaru if there is no good explanation and I can't live with this insane travel on these brakes? Is there a fix?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
The pedal travel is adjustable via a lock nut behind the brake pedal. This way it engages higher up the pedal travel. This is just something that needs to be tweaked to your preference, with it's stock setting put to the lowest common denominator.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
62 Posts
Consider too the condition of the brakes, rotors, and fluid.

I recently had too much travel, and the brakes needed changing.

After new Centric Blanks and Street Tech Pads in the front, I changed the fluid and a WORLD of difference.

The pedal is firm and reactive.

I stop on the edge of a dime now.

Just a suggestion....

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Hmm.. sounds like a specific vehicle issue or adjustment. My last few vehicles were...Chevy Trailblazer extended, Acura MDX, VW Touareg, Mazda CX-9 and now the 09 Forester... the Touareg and the Forester have by far the most touchy brakes, the VW had huge brakes (thing was heavy), the Forester has a firm, very responsive pedal..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts